1 (edited by anomaly0617 2019-07-05 21:56:34)

Topic: Link existing UNIX account to new iRedMail account

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx (Would prefer Apache, but it is no longer supported)
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Not yet! Maybe once I get my feet under me we'll buy it!
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue. Not applicable to question
====

Hi all!,

I'm new to iRedMail. Not new to UNIX OS'es (been using them for 20 years).

When you go through the installation wizard for Ubuntu, you are prompted to create a normal (non-root) user account (ex: bob) . This creates a home directory for the user (/home/bob). If I then want to set up an email account for this user (bob@bobsburgers.com), is there a way I can link the iRedMail email account to the UNIX user account, so the user only has one password to maintain? This would be exceptionally helpful for users that we choose to give SSH access to, which believe it or not, comes up a lot.

Thanks, in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Link existing UNIX account to new iRedMail account

anomaly0617 wrote:

If I then want to set up an email account for this user (bob@bobsburgers.com), is there a way I can link the iRedMail email account to the UNIX user account, so the user only has one password to maintain? This would be exceptionally helpful for users that we choose to give SSH access to, which believe it or not, comes up a lot.

Usually we forward emails sent to bob (the system account) to virtual mailbox (bob@bobsbergers.com) and access the mailbox via webmail (or any other POP3/IMAP clients). In this case, you need to add one line in /etc/postfix/aliases first:

bob: bob@bobsbergers.com

Then run command:

postalias /etc/postfix/aliases

Didn't do vice verse before ...