Topic: Is iRedMail for me?

Ok, I have tried to install iRedMail how I want about 6 times so far and am just about to give up and go with the mailserver install on howtoforge, however I do not need or want Virtualmin.

Heres what I am trying to do:

I run a VPS server that hosts *my* 3 domains only. I never plan to host anyone else sites and if I do it would be friends only. The issue here is I *do not* want to use Apache but want to use nginx with php-fpm.

Php-fpm requirs PHP 5.3.x and this is where the problems start. I have enabled 3 extra repos on my Centos 5.5 install - epel, ius and remi. The remi repo has PHP 5.3.4 as standard (php.i386) and epel has nginx 8.5.4 - just what I want. I also want mysql & mysql-server 5.5, again available in the remi repo.

However, iRedMail seems to want parts from PHP 5.2 and trying to install it after adding the above repos causes the yum install to fail due to dependencies.

My last install I did the "manual" thing in the wiki telling iRedMail to not install Apache/PHP because I had done already but when I told it NOT to install MySQL it tried to anyway so I had to go into packages.sh and physically remove any reference to mysql for RHEL/Centos. That looks to have caused a problem with the install of Roundcube. To be honest, the ONLY time I have even had iRedmail working to the full is when I tried a rock stock install but it soon went bad when trying to update things.

So, the bottom line is: Can I actually install iRedMail as a product along with PHP 5.3.4 and mysql 5.5? How, because I am lost now, probably from trying to accomplish it too many times.

Cheers
Bruce

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Is iRedMail for me?

As mentioned in installation guide, iRedMail is designed for a FRESH system, so i can understand your complain, it's reasonable.

It's impossible to make all people happy. why not let's just sit down and solve remained issues to make it work smoothly?

3 (edited by racedirector 2011-01-06 14:54:53)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

As mentioned in installation guide, iRedMail is designed for a FRESH system, so i can understand your complain, it's reasonable.

It's impossible to make all people happy. why not let's just sit down and solve remained issues to make it work smoothly?

I understand that, I have been testing on newly created VMWare Fusion installs of Centos 5.5. I *almost* had it work on the last -1 install except for the roundcube problem. I can only attribute that problem to the method I used to install it - ie my own LAMP stack. I think the problem came from iRedmail ignoring the settng in mysql conf file, export MYSQL_FRESH_INSTALLATION='YES'. I set that to NO and added my root password but iRedMail tried to install mysql anyway.

On the very last install I preinstalled nothing, just setup the repos as I explained. But, for some reason, iRedmail required a package from php5.2 which of course failed because the rest of the packages were 5.3.4. One of them was php-mhash which has been deprecated in 5.3.x as has php-ncurses. From what I understand php-hash has replaced php-mhash as hashing is not part of the cryptography function in php 5.3.x.

If I know iRedMail *could* be installed under my specs I will keep trying....

racedirector wrote:

I set that to NO and added my root password but iRedMail tried to install mysql anyway.

I guess other packages depend on it.

racedirector wrote:

But, for some reason, iRedmail required a package from php5.2 which of course failed because the rest of the packages were 5.3.4. One of them was php-mhash which has been deprecated in 5.3.x as has php-ncurses. From what I understand php-hash has replaced php-mhash as hashing is not part of the cryptography function in php 5.3.x.

You can modify "functions/packages.sh", remove what you don't need or add others.

My personal suggestion is, install iRedMail STRICTLY by following the installation guide, then upgrade packages if you want, e.g. PHP, etc. that would be simple enough.

Hmmmm... I'll try it and see what happens. If this one fails I'll just have to follow the howtoforge article and go with virtualmin, something I don't want to do due to it's dependency on Apache.

Again, install iredmail -> upgrade php, replace apache by nginx. that's it.

Like I said, I'll try it ans see what happens.....

Ok, I have it working. I had to remove php-mhash (obsolete in 5.3.4) and php-pecl-fileinfo (functionality INCLUDED in 5.3.4) to upgrade to the latest PHP. So far roundcube still works. Off the get nginx in place of Apache.

Oh, and I did not install awstats originally, don't need it as I use Google Analytics. Whether that would have prevented an upgrade of PHP I don't know, I seem to remember perl-DB-MYSQL (or something link that) being a problem previously.

racedirector wrote:

I had to remove php-mhash (obsolete in 5.3.4) and php-pecl-fileinfo (functionality INCLUDED in 5.3.4)

php-pecl-fileinfo was removed in the latest iRedMail (not 0.6.1).

Oh, and I did not install awstats originally, don't need it as I use Google Analytics. Whether that would have prevented an upgrade of PHP I don't know, I seem to remember perl-DB-MYSQL (or something link that) being a problem previously.

Awstats is written in Perl.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

[Awstats is written in Perl.

Yup, I know that, didn't explain myself very well.... I upgraded MySQL as well and last time the file I mentioned wanted 5.2 and I installed 5.5.