Topic: Can you please put Apache2 integration back in?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
I've had to download iRedMail 0.9.7 instead of the current 0.9.9 to run on Ubuntu 18.04 because the server it's going on is also suppose to be running our public web site with our own custom back-end.  I am completely unfamiliar with Nginx but know LAMPs like my own backyard (prefer MariaDB over MySql). I don't want to be messing around with more hardware, more VMs, and especially not more DNS entries with more IP addresses. It's a big enough headache making this all work as it is.

We had been using an third party web host, but since we've been having problems with their mail system, I've been asked to bring everything in-house. I've never needed to know Postfix or Dovecot before and now I have only a few days left to get this working. A friend of mine had at first suggested Zimbra because that's what she set up for her company but I said I don't need all of that. I need a working and secure LAMP server, a working and secure SMTP server and a working and secure POP/IMAP server. One of her friends suggested iRedMail as a way to get it up and running fast. But 0.9.9 no longer installs with Apache and if I install Apache because it's what I know, even on separate ports, it breaks Nginx.

I won't be using SOGo. Roundcube is a probable. iRedadmin will simply make my life so much easier, it's a must. If it wasn't for iRedadmin, I wouldn't bother with installing the webserver. If there was a nice x-windows version of iRedadmin, I'd use that and not have iRedMail install any web server.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by heeter 2019-12-01 10:23:21)

Re: Can you please put Apache2 integration back in?

Actually there is nothing stopping you from running Apache2 side by side with nginx. It does work not properly together, if it is breaking with your setup, then something else is causing it.

Regards

We have no plan to bring Apache back. Sorry.

With default iRedMail settings, Nginx should run just fine, no tweaks required. You can just run it and forget it. Maybe spend some time to learn Nginx after all mail services are running. smile

heeter wrote:

Actually there is nothing stopping you from running Apache2 side by side with nginx. It does work not properly together, if it is breaking with your setup, then something else is causing it.

Regards

Tell that to apt and the package maintainers. "apt-get install apache2" removes nginx because the package maintainters figure you don't need two http servers so you must be replacing one with another. Oh, there's a way around it, but apt-get update will break it half the time and software-updater and popcorn will break it 2/3s of the time. So if you're not the only system admin, guaranteed it's going to get broken.

5 (edited by BonneComm 2019-12-02 22:47:49)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

We have no plan to bring Apache back. Sorry.

With default iRedMail settings, Nginx should run just fine, no tweaks required. You can just run it and forget it. Maybe spend some time to learn Nginx after all mail services are running. smile

Sorry. Not buying you a coffee with that response. Nginx works fine until I "sudo apt-get install apache2" which then removes nginx because the package maintainers are certain you won't want 2 http servers running at the same time and that you simply forgot to "apt-get remove" the previous one.

We're not doing a stand-alone webmail server. This is more of a everything including the kitchen sink publicly accessible server.