Topic: migrate or import gmail to iredmail

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi Zhang and all Iredmail users,

My Boss is asking me to migrate our gmail account into iredmail but, i'm really new to iredmail and doesn't have idea.
Did somebody encounter this scenario and able to do it successfully? 

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
JunG

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by MuPp3t33r 2020-01-14 15:11:35)

Re: migrate or import gmail to iredmail

In my experience the most reliable way to get all the data transferred would be to set up the gmail account in outlook (or your other preferred mail client) and do an export of the mailbox, then once done do your iredmail account in the same mail client and import the data you exported. (preferably this should be done with IMAP for the Gmail acc and also IMAP or ActiveSync for iRedMail)
There are applications that can do all this for you but majority of the decent ones will come at a price, which unless you're doing a lot of mailboxes it may not be worth...

You may also want to set up an automatic forwarding on your gmail acc so new future emails sent there will deliver to iRedMail as well

MuPp3t33r wrote:

In my experience the most reliable way to get all the data transferred would be to set up the gmail account in outlook (or your other preferred mail client) and do an export of the mailbox, then once done do your iredmail account in the same mail client and import the data you exported. (preferably this should be done with IMAP for the Gmail acc and also IMAP or ActiveSync for iRedMail)
There are applications that can do all this for you but majority of the decent ones will come at a price, which unless you're doing a lot of mailboxes it may not be worth...

You may also want to set up an automatic forwarding on your gmail acc so new future emails sent there will deliver to iRedMail as well

====================
Thanks MuPp3t33r,  I can export everyones mailbox as .mbox. However, i don't have any idea on how to import it in iredmail. likewise, the gmail domain is different from the one i used in iredmail.
I've read about the imapsync and saw the script but it's complicated.

Maybe you can share the steps on what you did in your end to getting this up and running?

Thank you so much..
JunG

What I did for my gmail account is add it as an IMAP account in Outlook, export the mailbox to a PST file, then add the iredmail account in Outlook and import the PST file

Hi MuPp3t33r,

Thanks for the idea. but it's a very tedious process. imagine, let say, i have 600 users and of course not all of them are using outlook. some are just using browser.

Is there any issue if it's not using identical domain name? because the gmail is using different domain and my iredmail is also using different domain.

Thank you so much.
JunG

Ah, I assumed it would just be a single gmail acc smile
You're definitely going to want 3rd party software to handle it for you, a quick Google search indicates that imapsync might be a useful option, someone wrote a tutorial HERE that you can see, I've not tried it though.

As for your query on domain names, that shouldn't matter as it is simply copying the messages across, only your replies to any copied messages will come from your new domain instead of gmail.com

Hi MuPp3t33r,

Thanks again for the swift reply.

Yes, i need to migrate all the company email account (600 - 1000 users)

for the imapsync, yes, i've already following the steps on that site.. but i'm getting error. i need to do trial and error until i got it working.  smile and smile

Any help from iredmail guru is really much appreciated...

Thanks
JunG

Hi Zhang,

Kindly close this topic.  I resolved this issue already.

Out of interest, what method did you end up using?

Hi MuPp3t33r,

Below is what i did to make it happen. This is also for the benefit of other iredmail users who need to migrate their old email to iredmail:

1.  First i installed ubuntu (just ubuntu without iredmail) as virtual machine.
2.  Install "imapsync" in ubuntu from the below link:
    https://imapsync.lamiral.info/INSTALL.d … Ubuntu.txt
    Installation on different OS and distro's check here:https://imapsync.lamiral.info/#install

3.  Create an email account in iredmail server for same profile from your gmail account or any other emails.

4.  Run the below command in ubuntu
    imapsync --host1 mail.gmail.com     \
         --user1 my_email@oldhost.com \
         --password1 passwordold   \
         --user2 my_email@yourdomain.com \
         --password2 passwordnew

Note:
a. Supply the correct email and password for both users.
b. Take note that you can add up to how many users  in the above script. But in my case i just migrated 1 email at a time...

Hope this help...

Thanks,
JunG