Topic: SMTP suddenly stopped working

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? did it with the sh file
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu 18.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

We were using iredmail since a few months now. But suddenly today the smtp has stopped working. Ports 587 and 25 are not working at all. On listing all the open ports, those two ports are not listed.

Please help my company mail server ain't working need to get it done ASAP

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SMTP suddenly stopped working

How did you list the open ports? try this (unless it's what you did already)

lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN | grep :25
lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN | grep :587

If the ports are not showing there, confirm that the postfix service is running

service postfix status

If it is not running then try start it:

service postfix start

If there are any errors then please post them.

You may also check in your syslog for errors

cat /var/log/syslog | grep postfix

Stop “fail2ban” service temporarily then try again.

@MuPp3t33r I tried your commands already and I when i do lsof those ports i get nothing back. And no there are no errors when i do cat /var/log/syslog | grep.

Hey ZhangHuangbin I tried that and i rebooted the server. It worked perfectly for few hours and then again right now, same problem. I can open "IPaddress/mail" to open roundcube mail but could not login into the roundcube mail. I also tried stopping fail2ban but didn't worked. When i try to login it gives me http error 500. I notice when things are not working 170 processes are running. and when i reboot, 181 processes are running. And even on rebooting the server, sometimes things don't work. The smtp ports are not working, the roundcube ain't working.

What is going on!? Somebody please save me from this disaster!!

Please check log files under /var/log/, especially maillog, dovecot/*.log.

I checked that and /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log is empty. After reboot I can send and receive mails but could not login into roundcube mail which is working on my lan

somebody?? please?!?

Again, stop “fail2ban” service temporarily for testing.

If your IP address was frequently blocked by fail2ban, you need to either whitelist your IP or figure out why it’s blocked and fix the cause.

okay i knew the problem. Finally today i was able to reach to my server. I connected the screen and turned it on. I am running it on a raspberry pi4. And because of unwanted power cut the os is corrupted. And because of that it some how deleted few php files. Thus, roundcube mail not working. About the smtp, It was working if I reboot it once in a day. Once in 24hours I had to reboot it and SMTP  worked. still unaware about the issue. But yeah probably because of the OS corrupted. Please tell me how to close this issue. Or else i request admin to do the same.

Thank you again for the support people!

Going to format the sd card and redo the stuff. Someone please redirect me on how to backup the mail boxes. My mail boxes are in an external hdd. So i need that when i format the sd card and redo the previous settings, the mail box should be available from the hdd.

11 (edited by MuPp3t33r 2020-03-02 15:03:18)

by default the email messages are in /var/vmail/vmail1/domain.tld/
Don't forget to to the MySQL data and other needed data as well
https://docs.iredmail.org/backup.restore.html

harshilshah.oic wrote:

So i need that when i format the sd card and redo the previous settings, the mail box should be available from the hdd.

Check your current /etc/fstab file to see how the directory is mounted on your HDD