Topic: Outlook send confermation read message with <> and doesn' t work

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Outlook send confermation read messages with sender <>, it doesn' t work and ban ip of customer.

Related logs:

Mar  6 15:16:56 sd14 postfix/submission/smtpd[20829]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[1.2.3.4]:
554 5.7.1 <user1@domain1.com>: Recipient address rejected: Policy rejection due to null sender;
from=<> to=<user1@doman1> proto=ESMTP helo=<DESKTOP9F90G09>

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 1.2.3.4: 554 5.7.1 <amministrazione@pippo.com>: Recipient address rejected: Sender is not same as SMTP authenticate username; from=<> to=<amministrazione@pippo.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<NB178>

After some tests if I disable these plugins outlook works fine:

"reject_null_sender" and "reject_sender_login_mismatch"

Anyone has resolved this issue ?

It is simple to reproduce, configure outlook 2013 / 2016 / 2019 send email form other client with read confermation and send read confermation from outlook ... it doesn' t work and if you receive some email with read confermation the ip will be banned.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Outlook send confermation read message with <> and doesn' t work

There's no easy solution right now. sad

- Roundcube webmail supports using recipient address (local user) as the sender address of return receipt.
- Could you please turn on debug mode in iRedAPD, then trigger the return receipt again, and paste the full iRedAPD log related to this return receipt here? i'd like to check again, let's see whether there's any possibility to recognize it.
FYI: https://docs.iredmail.org/debug.iredapd.html

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

There's no easy solution right now. sad

- Roundcube webmail supports using recipient address (local user) as the sender address of return receipt.
- Could you please turn on debug mode in iRedAPD, then trigger the return receipt again, and paste the full iRedAPD log related to this return receipt here? i'd like to check again, let's see whether there's any possibility to recognize it.
FYI: https://docs.iredmail.org/debug.iredapd.html

I have sent logs at your email.

In upcoming iRedAPD release (3.6), you can disable iRedAPD plugin "reject_null_sender" to bypass the return receipt sent by Outlook.