Topic: Amavis Bad Header

iRedMail = 1.2 Upgraded by Zhang Huangbin
iRedAdmin-Pro-SQL = 4.3  (Latest Version)
Linux: Debian 10 (Buster)

We have a new HP Nimble SAN and when it tries to send emails, they are being blocked due to a 'BAD HEADER'

I've contacted HP about this - but they have put the blame back on Amavis.

What can I do to allow these emails through our mail servers ?

Thanks
Kent.

May 14 12:43:27 mail postfix/qmgr[18282]: 3FCDE3FEFA: from=<...>, size=758, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
May 14 12:43:27 mail amavis[11922]: (!)loading policy bank "ORIGINATING": unknown field "warnvirussender"
May 14 12:43:27 mail amavis[11922]: (!)loading policy bank "ORIGINATING": unknown field "warnspamsender"
May 14 12:43:27 mail amavis[11922]: (11922-07) Blocked BAD-HEADER-0 {DiscardedInternal}, ORIGINATING/MYNETS LOCAL [10.12.0.41]:38386 <...> -> <...>, Queue-ID: 3FCDE3FEFA, mail_id: eSXScuLl7jtM, Hits: -, size: 758, 251 ms
May 14 12:43:27 mail postfix/smtp[14233]: 3FCDE3FEFA: to=<...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10026, delay=0.31, delays=0.05/0/0.01/0.26, dsn=2.6.0, status=sent (250 2.6.0 Ok, discarded, id=11922-07 - BAD HEADER)

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Amavis Bad Header

HP device generates non-standard email with bad header and they blame mail server to block it, well, that’s “cool”.

You can login to iRedAdmin-Pro as global admin, then:

- if HP device sends email as a (Smtp) authenticated user, go to that mail user’s profile page, click tab “Spam Policy” and disable bad header checks.
- if no smtp auth, you have to disable bad header checks in global spam policy page (System -> Global Spam Policy).

Hi Zhang,

Thanks for that.   I've set it up to authenticate as user  nimble@domain.nz

• I turn off the 'Bad Header Checks' for this email account - the email was still blocked.

• I turn off for the whole domain - the the email was received to my account.

• I changed it to email itself  (eg. from = nimble@  and to = nimble@.   The account received the email.

• So, I set it up to forward the nimble@  to me - but it was blocked.

I have it working by turning off the header checks for my email account (and not the sending one).   So it looks like it's the receiving email account that you need to disable the BAD HEADERS check  (which I guess makes sense)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

if HP device sends email as a (Smtp) authenticated user, go to that mail user’s profile page, click tab “Spam Policy” and disable bad header checks.

I've had a look at the message that did come through:

X-Spam-Status: No, score=-10.043 tagged_above=-100 required=1
    tests=[ALL_TRUSTED=-10, BAYES_00=-1.9, MISSING_DATE=1.36,
    MISSING_MID=0.497] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

Do I take it that they aren't including a 'Message-ID' and a 'Date' when they send the message.   Looking at the one that did come through when they tested, they had inserted a 'Date' (and that seems to be enough.

kent@kamar.nz wrote:

Do I take it that they aren't including a 'Message-ID' and a 'Date' when they send the message

yes.