Topic: Questions about LDAP + iRedMail

I'm looking at the various email service options and I have a few questions about using LDAP with iRedMail.

What does iRedMail store in LDAP? i assume it stores usernames, passwords and groups.

When using LDAP, where are the emails stored?

is the LDAP directory available to services on external servers? In other words, can I use iRedMail as an LDAP provider for external systems?

Thanks

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Questions about LDAP + iRedMail

YurkshireLad wrote:

What does iRedMail store in LDAP? i assume it stores usernames, passwords and groups.

Yes.

YurkshireLad wrote:

When using LDAP, where are the emails stored?

File system. /var/vmail/vmail1/ by default.

YurkshireLad wrote:

is the LDAP directory available to services on external servers? In other words, can I use iRedMail as an LDAP provider for external systems?

Yes - after you open ports 389/636 in firewall.

Thanks.

I tried connecting via sldap, but it won't work for me. Is it as simple as selecting the encryption method (SSL/ldaps or STARTLS) and choosing 636 as the port?

Oops, TLS/SSL is not enabled in OpenLDAP by default because it's accessed locally for other softwares installed by iRedMail. You need to enable SSL/TLS with a ssl cert/key and restart the service.

FYI: https://docs.iredmail.org/letsencrypt.html#openldap

Will this be available in the next release?

No plan to enable TLS/SSL in OpenLDAP since it's accessed locally in iRedMail default setup.

Understood, thanks.

Where are the iptables rules defined? I opened port 389 for connections to iRedMail's OpenLDAP server, but the rule I created disappears when iptables is restarted.

ufw is disabled, even though there are a bunch of firewall rules defined under /etc/ufw.

Thanks again

YurkshireLad wrote:

Where are the iptables rules defined?

/etc/default/iptables on Debian/Ubuntu.

Thankyou so much.