Topic: SuSE 11.3 - Minimal Server Selection?

I am considering using iRedMail installer script. Before starting, I have been browsing the documentation. At the head of the document, under Requirements, it says this:
"It's recommended to choose "Minimal Server Selection (Text Mode)" during installation. "

How important is this? If I have already done a clean install using the KDE desktop, can I somehow turn it off for the iRedMail install? Or do I need to re-do the OS install?

Regards, Martin

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SuSE 11.3 - Minimal Server Selection?

I think it is no problem , but we have not test yet.

mprowe wrote:

How important is this?

It doesn't matter at all. Just go ahead. smile

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
mprowe wrote:

How important is this?

It doesn't matter at all. Just go ahead. smile

Thank you Zhang,
Dropped out of the scripts a couple of times with package update conflicts. But once I got them sorted, it was installed.

However, in an attempt to understand what I was doing, I removed it with the clear_iredmail.sh.
Now, when I try and re-run the install all I get are 29 <<<SKIP>>>Skip function: (name of package) and nothing happens.

How do I re-run the iRedMail.sh?

Regards,

mprowe wrote:

Now, when I try and re-run the install all I get are 29 <<<SKIP>>>Skip function: (name of package) and nothing happens.
How do I re-run the iRedMail.sh?

There's a hidden file under root directory of iRedMail scripts. e.g. /root/iRedMail-0.6.1/.iRedMail.installation.status, simply remove it and run iRedMail.sh.

Thank you Zhang,

That solved that for me.

So, I move on to try and make a pop3 connection and.... Fail!
I have attached the dovecot.log file. If you have a moment, could offer any suggestions?

Best regards, Martin

Post's attachments

dovecot.log 2.3 kb, 1 downloads since 2011-02-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

It's better to post log content as plain text directly, so that others can help troubleshoot quickly.

I visit forum with my iPhone when i was out, it can't download and open attachment in post, so i have to delay to read your log file.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

It's better to post log content as plain text directly, so that others can help troubleshoot quickly.

I beg your pardon, Zhang,

Different forums, different etiquette . So, here is dovecot.log:

eb 08 11:45:58 dovecot: Info: Dovecot v1.2.16 starting up (core dumps disabled)
Feb 08 11:45:58 auth-worker(default): Info: mysql: Connected to localhost (vmail)
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8753
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8759
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8755
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8751
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8752
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8758
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8757
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8756
Feb 08 11:45:59 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8754
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: client in: AUTH    1    PLAIN    service=pop3    secured    lip=192.168.3.69    rip=192.168.2.235    lport=110    rport=37051
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: client out: CONT    1    
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: client in: CONT    1    AHd3d0BnenVuZGVyLmhvbWVpcC5uZXQASGF6ZTFodXJzdC0=
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth-worker(default): Info: sql(www@gzunder.homeip.net,192.168.2.235): query: SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username='www@gzunder.homeip.net' AND active='1'
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: client out: OK    1    user=www@gzunder.homeip.net
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: master in: REQUEST    1    8754    1
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth-worker(default): Info: sql(www@gzunder.homeip.net,192.168.2.235): SELECT CONCAT(storagebasedirectory, '/', storagenode, '/', maildir) AS home, CONCAT('*:bytes=', quota*1048576) AS quota_rule FROM mailbox WHERE username='www@gzunder.homeip.net' AND active='1' AND enablepop3secured='1'
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: master out: USER    1    www@gzunder.homeip.net    home=/var/vmail/vmail1/gzunder.homeip.net/w/ww/www/www-2011.02.07.15.39.05/    quota_rule=*:bytes=104857600
Feb 08 11:46:20 dovecot: Error: User www@gzunder.homeip.net not allowed to log in using too low UNIX UID 303(vmail) (see first_valid_uid in config file)
Feb 08 11:46:20 pop3-login: Info: Internal login failure (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<www@gzunder.homeip.net>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.2.235, lip=192.168.3.69, TLS
Feb 08 11:46:20 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=8760
Feb 08 11:46:39 dovecot: Warning: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=8765 uid=0 code=kill)

Regards, Martin

Feb 08 11:46:20 dovecot: Error: User www@gzunder.homeip.net not allowed to log in using too low UNIX UID 303(vmail) (see first_valid_uid in config file)

It's clear now. This is a known issue in iRedMail-0.7.0-beta1.

SuSE package 'postfix-mysql' will create system account 'vmail' automatically, with default uid 303.
So add below config in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and restart dovecot service can fix it:

first_valid_uid = 303

Back again,

Thank you for that last tid-bit. Of course that worked, so I moved on. But...
Trying to send gives me this message in mail.info:

Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtpd[10147]: connect from unknown[192.168.2.235]
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtpd[10147]: 75FA0100570: client=unknown[192.168.2.235], sasl_method=PLAIN, sasl_username=mprowe@gzunder.homeip.net
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/cleanup[10156]: 75FA0100570: message-id=<201102091119.07553.mprowe@gzunder.homeip.net>
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/qmgr[10095]: 75FA0100570: from=<mprowe@gzunder.homeip.net>, size=507, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtp[10161]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtpd[10147]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.2.235]
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtp[10161]: 75FA0100570: to=<mprowe@gzunder.homeip.net>, relay=none, delay=0.12, delays=0.11/0.01/0/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused)

Any advice?

Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/qmgr[10095]: 75FA0100570: from=<mprowe@gzunder.homeip.net>, size=507, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb  9 11:18:20 scc39968 postfix/smtp[10161]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused

Amavisd will listen on port 10024, this error message means amavisd daemon is not running, tey to restart it:

/etc/init.d/amavis restart

P.S. iRedMail-0.7.0-beta2 is available today, with better OpenSuSE and Debian6 support maybe you should give it a try. smile

Oh I feel bad about all this pestering. Okay, as you point out, amavis is not running.

cc39968:~ # /etc/init.d/syslog restart
Shutting down syslog services                       done
Starting syslog services                                done
scc39968:~ # /etc/init.d/amavis restart
Shutting down virus-scanner (amavisd-new): done
Starting virus-scanner (amavisd-new): ERROR: MISSING REQUIRED BASIC MODULES:
  Unix::Syslog
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 237.     failed
scc39968:~ # 

As you can see, syslog is running?
Googling around suggest that this may be a problem with amavis-new 2.6.4? Do you know different?

Regards, Martin
PS - Thanks for the tip on iRedMail-0.7.0-beta2. I'd like to get this build up 'n running first.
It seems to be almost there?

mprowe wrote:

You should install perl module Unix::Syslog to make it work:

# zypper in perl-unix-syslog

Dho, not quite there yet....

scc39968:~ # zypper in perl-unix-syslog
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Package 'perl' not found.
Resolving package dependencies...
Nothing to do.

scc39968:~ # zypper in perl
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...
Nothing to do.

scc39968:~ # /etc/init.d/amavis restart
Shutting down virus-scanner (amavisd-new):                                   done
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 237.
                                                                                                     failed

Don't you have zypper oss repository enabled?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Don't you have zypper oss repository enabled?

Sorry, which repo?

scc39968:/ # zypper repos
#  | Alias                                                             | Name                                                              | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
1  | download.nvidia.com-opensuse                                      | NVIDIA Repository                                                 | Yes     | Yes    
2  | download.opensuse.org-standard                                    | Main Repository (Contrib)                                         | Yes     | Yes    
3  | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse                                          | Packman Repository                                                | Yes     | Yes    
4  | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.3/standard | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.3/standard | Yes     | Yes    
5  | iRedMail-Altermime                                                | iRedMail-Altermime                                                | Yes     | Yes    
6  | iRedMail-Apache2-Modules                                          | iRedMail-Apache2-Modules                                          | Yes     | Yes    
7  | iRedMail-Awstats                                                  | iRedMail-Awstats                                                  | Yes     | Yes    
8  | iRedMail-Policyd-v1                                               | iRedMail-Policyd-v1                                               | Yes     | Yes    
9  | repo-debug                                                        | openSUSE-11.3-Debug                                               | Yes     | Yes    
10 | repo-non-oss                                                      | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss                                             | Yes     | Yes    
11 | repo-oss                                                          | openSUSE-11.3-Oss                                                 | Yes     | Yes    
12 | repo-source                                                       | openSUSE-11.3-Source                                              | Yes     | Yes    
13 | repo-update                                                       | openSUSE-11.3-Update                                              | Yes     | Yes    
scc39968:/ # 

perl-unix-syslog is provided in repo-oss.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

perl-unix-syslog is provided in repo-oss.

I really am sorry for wasting your time, but I still don't understand.
I think the output shown in message#16 suggests that the repository "repo-oss" is active and enabled.
Then, in message#14, when I try and install "perl-unix-syslog", it suggests that it is installed. But that a complimentary package "perl" is missing. Then when i try and install that, it says that it is in fact installed! How do I crack this circular stand-off?

Have I understood the problem? Or is there any other thoughts that you think may help?

Is this a SuSE thing....?

Regards, Martin

you can try the iRedMail beta2 and would fix all the bug.

shake wrote:

you can try the iRedMail beta2 and would fix all the bug.

Oh I wish it would!

I attempted to clean up the beta1 install by running yes | bash clear_iredmail.sh
Rebooted, download and un-zipped beta2. Ran the install script. At the end of what "seemed" a clean install, I request that iRedMail should start. This is the greeting I get:

< Question > Would you like to start postfix now? [y|N]y
Shutting down syslog services                                                                                          done
Starting syslog services                                                                                               done
mv: cannot move `/tmp/apache2.zj9BqAZfAaMa' to `/etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf': No such file or directory

<< 12 errors referencing the location /etc/apache2 ***WHICH DOES NOT EXIST***

Shutting down mail service (Postfix)                                                                                   done
Starting mail service (Postfix)                                                                                        failed
cat: /etc/my.cnf: No such file or directory
Restarting service MySQL 
Shutting down service MySQL                                                                                            done
Starting service MySQL                                                                                                 done
/etc/policyd.conf not existing
Stopping dovecot                                                                                                       done
Starting dovecot                                                                                                       done
Shutting down virus-scanner (amavisd-new):                                                                             done
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 237.
                                                                                                                       failed
Shutting down Clam AntiVirus daemon                                                                                    done
Starting Clam AntiVirus daemon                                                                                         failed
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/clamd.conf
Shutting down Clam AntiVirus database update daemon                                                                    done
Starting Clam AntiVirus database update daemon ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf
startproc:  exit status of parent of /usr/bin/freshclam: 40
                                                                                                                       failed
Shutting down CRON daemon                                                                                              done
Starting CRON daemon                                                                                                   done
* URLs of your web applications:
<< standard message omitted for brevity >>
scc39968:~/Downloads/iRedMail-0.7.0-beta2 # 

Any/all advice welcome, Martin

It's better to install iRedMail on a FRESH OS.

WaaaHoooooooo.....

Its working. Thank you Zhang.