1 (edited by pbf343 2020-07-20 23:20:30)

Topic: Undelivered email return time

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello,
It would be helpful if this forum was searchabe.

iRedMail gets an undelivered email but took it 5 days to return. 
Where does one adjust this time notification value?

BTW: The example in question was a user sending to a domain without any MX values - so it eventually timed out.  Typo in the domain name for intended recipient while actually being a valid domain minus MX records.   

On a side note: 
For some reason I had thought this was set during installation of iRedMail to something like 4 hours or 24 hours in the configuration.  Is this not correct?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Undelivered email return time

pbf343 wrote:

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello,

iRedMail gets an undelivered email but took it 5 days to return. 
Where does one adjust this time notification value?

BTW: The example in question was a user sending to a domain without any MX values - so it eventually timed out.  Typo in the domain name for intended recipient while actually being a valid domain minus MX records.   

On a side note: 
For some reason I had thought this was set during installation of iRedMail to something like 4 hours or 24 hours in the configuration.  Is this not correct?

Is this the variable I'm seeking to edit:   bounce_queue_lifetime

Should that be in the settings.py file?

pbf343 wrote:

There's a "Search" button on main navigation bar. Besides, Google can search any public website with keyword "site:", for example, "site:forum.iredmail.org".

pbf343 wrote:

Read the official document: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# … e_lifetime

4 (edited by pbf343 2020-07-21 21:09:48)

pbf343 wrote:

Yep, that is the document where the variable value was selected.  However, adding it into the main.cf does not seem to have worked.  Postfix services was restarted but no other services.   

bounce_queue_lifetime = 4h

Am I using the syntax correctly or what would cause it NOT to work?  Should it be in the settings.py file?

Would adding the variable "maximal_queue_lifetime = 2d" alter the bounce_queue_lifetime variable? 
FYI: I just added it to the main.cf file despite never seeing any messages taking 5 days until this recent bounce notice.

Hello,
Anyone can help with this?   

bounce_queue_lifetime = 4h

Am I using the syntax correctly or what would cause it NOT to work?  Should it be in the settings.py file?

Would adding the variable "maximal_queue_lifetime = 2d" alter the bounce_queue_lifetime variable?
FYI: I just added it to the main.cf file despite never seeing any messages taking 5 days until this recent bounce notice.