Topic: Should I add an additional PTR record for mail server's IPv6 address ?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): latest 1.3
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I have followed the official iRedMail tutorial and added the following DNS record:

Type [PTR], Name [my server's IPv4 address], Content [my server's FQDN], TTL [one day]

My question, should I add an additional PTR record containing my mail server's IPv6 address pointing to my mail server's FQDN ?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by Bughandle 2020-09-30 15:31:17)

Re: Should I add an additional PTR record for mail server's IPv6 address ?

My opinion. Use PTR records on Mailserver IPs. Some Mailadmins will check these and use it for spam verdicts if missing. Some Mailadmins will even compare HELO and PTR records. Generally try to be as clean as possible with DNS on your mail services.

3 (edited by jackb 2020-09-30 07:47:28)

MW wrote:

- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I have followed the official iRedMail tutorial and added the following DNS record:

Type [PTR], Name [my server's IPv4 address], Content [my server's FQDN], TTL [one day]

My question, should I add an additional PTR record containing my mail server's IPv6 address pointing to my mail server's FQDN ?

Depends.

PTR is for Reverse DNS (Pointer Record) known as rDNS. Are you using IPv4 or IPv6 ? Its added for WANs Public IP or IP Address of the Cloud Server if you are hosting on the Cloud.

jackb wrote:
MW wrote:

====

Depends.

PTR is for Reverse DNS (Pointer Record) known as rDNS. Are you using IPv4 or IPv6 ? Its added for WANs Public IP or IP Address of the Cloud Server if you are hosting on the Cloud.

Thank you, that made it clear. I set it on the hosting provider and not manually on domain's DNS management system.

MW wrote:
jackb wrote:
MW wrote:

====

Depends.

Thank you, that made it clear. I set it on the hosting provider and not manually on domain's DNS management system.

No worries.

Just make sure that Host for the PTR matches the hostname of the Server which should be mail. i.e

mail.fqdn