Topic: Forwarding mails no longer considered a "good thing"

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8 MARIADB
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?: Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 7.8
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?: Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi Zhang,

I thought I had started a topic about this before, but I can't seem to find it.

I've long had an issue with users forwarding all their incoming email to free email providers, particularly Gmail. However, I didn't want to disable this feature completely.

Is it possible to have a blacklist inside iRedAdmin-Pro that specifically will not allow forwarding of emails to a list of domains? My list, to start off with, would be the following:

* gmail.com
* hotmail.com
* yahoo.com

However, I'd probably expand that in different ways -- e.g., by banning hotmail.*.

Is this on the future feature list, or is our only choice disabling forwarding completely? I would much rather leave the feature in place to allow certain users to use it, blocking just the biggest free email providers and anyone who complains.

I realise that the forwarding feature in Roundcube will also have to be disabled or modified in the same way, but I realise that's not iRedMail's responsibility.

Thanks.

Craig

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Forwarding mails no longer considered a "good thing"

Another option, of course, is to make it whitelist-based, so that forwarding is allowed *only* to domains in the list.

This could be solved by SRS, i don't think disabling forwarding is a good idea ...

Hi Zhang,

Thanks for your reply. SRS as in sender rewriting scheme? I'm not sure that SRS necessarily "solves" the problem; it just makes it a different problem. However, I should certainly try it when I have a new server set up with the current version of iRedAPD.

But how do I use SRS to block forwarding to certain domains, or allow forwarding only to certain domains?

That said, Gmail states, "We recommend that you do not change the envelope sender when forwarding email to Gmail." ( https://support.google.com/mail/answer/175365 ) How do you respond to that if SRS changes the envelope sender?

Craig

Seems i misunderstood your initial request.

Do i understand correctly that you do NOT have issue with mail forwarding, but you just want to disable forwarding to few domains?

Well, I don't have a technical issue with forwarding -- it works, except that spam filtering by Gmail and other massive free-email providers can cause problems, both immediate and knock-on effects for my server's IP reputation -- but my "issue" is that people are forwarding *everything* instead of forwarding selectively. The answer to your question ("Do i understand correctly that you do NOT have issue with mail forwarding ...") depends on whether you mean a technical issue (no) or a philosophical issue (yes).

And it's because of the philosophical issue that I want more control over allowing the destinations to which my users can forward their email.