Topic: Can you recommend a host for iRedMail. I've tried so many with no luck

I've used iRedMail before with great success but this was a few years back now.

I need to do the same again but I can't find anywhere to host: I've tried DigitalOcean (port 25 blocked), Amazon Web Services (port 25 blocked and so far no luck getting them to open it), I've tried HostWinds (every IP I get is listed in UCEPROTECTL2 blacklist)

If in recent times you've managed to roll out iRedMail somewhere would you mind sharing with me which provider you used.

Thanks very much.

Cheers
Chris

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Can you recommend a host for iRedMail. I've tried so many with no luck

Maybe give Linode a try? https://www.linode.com

I'm a 10-year old Linode client, after Linode announced they blocked port 25, i didn't try to setup a new server on Linode myself after our first one (obviously it's our currently running mail server for @iredmail.org - "mail.iredmail.org"), but about 2 weeks ago i opened a support ticket to ask them open port 25 for my new VPS for testing our own email archiving software (still work in progress), they told me that since i'm a loyal client, all my new VPS won't have port 25 blocked. smile

if you really need Linode, sign up with my Referral Code, my Linode account will receive a credit of $15-20.00. smile
https://www.linode.com/?r=b4d04083428fb … 11692a0850

Thanks very much smile

Right I'll check out Linode and keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah I had a similar experience with Digital Ocean, my one account dated from a time before the port blocking, and my security profile meant I could spin up new Droplets also without 25 blocked. Trouble was it was in a Data centre that was a bit older and didn't offer many new features.

Cheers
Chris

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Maybe give Linode a try? https://www.linode.com

I'm a 10-year old Linode client, after Linode announced they blocked port 25, i didn't try to setup a new server on Linode myself after our first one (obviously it's our currently running mail server for @iredmail.org - "mail.iredmail.org"), but about 2 weeks ago i opened a support ticket to ask them open port 25 for my new VPS for testing our own email archiving software (still work in progress), they told me that since i'm a loyal client, all my new VPS won't have port 25 blocked. smile

if you really need Linode, sign up with my Referral Code, my Linode account will receive a credit of $15-20.00. smile
https://www.linode.com/?r=b4d04083428fb … 11692a0850

Good luck. smile

I'm a new customer to linode and I setup a new server earlier this week, it had port 25 open by default. I've sent/received emails with the new linode as a port forwarding proxy in front of my iRedMail server that I'm hosting at home.

I use OVH Cloud.  Dedicated Server.  No issues!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm back on the case this weekend, and signing up to the providers you'e suggested, and giving them a spin.

Cheers
Chris

Curious how this turned out for you @ChrisHodg as we are looking to do a similar thing. It is mostly for a group of users we want to host webmail for and it needs to feed to a connector on Office 365 (*.mail.protection.outlook.com) on port 25, as well as being able to receive mail from there or elsewhere. Very small user base but will need probably 160GB of storage. Linode looks to be about $16/mo for storage (assuming iRedMail can put mail storage on external block volume) and either $5 or $10 for a base instance two run it on. But having a RBL-clean IP and port 25 in/out is crucial.

9 (edited by n9yty 2021-04-02 10:32:10)

Or, as a follow-up, is iRedMail easy essentialy purchasing a shared server instance to run on? I see the features list, but it isn't clear exactly what you are getting in terms of infrastructure/etc.  For the $42/mo (if paid yearly) if it gets you a clean IP address, a secure data store (how many GB is included??) for your email and the ability to configure it fully while at the same time have managed upgrades, then it seems like it could easily be worth the cost. Is there more information about it?  (Sorry, if this should be a new thread I will/can post one, but it seems relevant to the issue of where to host as well).

EDIT: As I read through it now, the fee is for being able to use a web installer that you give permissions to connect to your hosted server somewhere else and do all the work for you. Great idea, but not a hosted environment in and of itself.

10 (edited by AndyInNYC 2021-04-02 03:57:32)

I'm using a VPS on flipperhost.

https://www.flipperhost.com/billing/car … mp;pid=209

Tell them I sent you and they will increase the port speed to at least 300
4 CPU
4 GB memory
4 GB swap
125 GB RAID - 10
5000 GB bandwidth

$58.99/year if paid in advance; $5.75/mo if billed - no price increases (although no decreases either; this is not a promotional price for 1 year).

My latest speedtest-cli results were 283 up / 698 down.

n9yty wrote:

EDIT: As I read through it now, the fee is for being able to use a web installer that you give permissions to connect to your hosted server somewhere else and do all the work for you.

This is correct. You still have the freedom to choose the favourite VPS vendor and its datacenter location for fast mailbox access, better pricing, data storage, bandwidth, etc.

I've used Linode for almost a year, in the last several months, the /24 my iRedMail server is in was blocked by Microsoft for all things in their sphere.  So mail to any Office365 customer, @outlook.com, @live.com, @hotmail.com recipient failed.  It took a while with Linode customer support, starting on Jan 10 2022 until Jan 28 2022 for Linode to get Microsoft to remove my IP from their internal block list. 

Linode support is effective, Microsoft is  SLOW,  but in the end, Linode came through and my server now sends mail successfully to anywhere.

Their DNS is handy to use as well, I find iRedMail Easy and Linode are a great combination.  I strongly recommend both.

Hi

ChrisHodg wrote:

Chris

!

I am using  a VPS Contabo,with another less stable project and I have an excellent service in terms of price and quality.

I hope I helped you.

José Luis - Cd. de México

Just to add,  I am currently running 2 mail domains on my iRedMail 1.5.1 instance hosted on Hetzner cloud,  it was the best bang for the buck among many providers, and while they do block port 25 outbound, it has not been an issue for me.  They do allow 587/995, and I relay SMTP to a free service for port 25 needs.

A definite +1 for Hetzner. Have been running iRedMail on a 4GB RAM/40GB disk VPS servicing 4 mailboxes over 3 mail domains for a couple of years without issue.

derek1776 wrote:

...and while they do block port 25 outbound,...

Port 25 - both inbound and outbound - appears open on my VPS.

On my VPS 'time nmap -p 25 portquiz.net' reports:

Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-02-03 07:26 GMT
Nmap scan report for portquiz.net (52.47.209.216)
Host is up (0.014s latency).
rDNS record for 52.47.209.216: ec2-52-47-209-216.eu-west-3.compute.amazonaws.com

PORT   STATE SERVICE
25/tcp open  smtp

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.27 seconds

real    0m0.965s
user    0m0.126s
sys    0m0.688s