Topic: /var/log/fail2ban.log': open error: Permission denied
==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.3.2 MARIADB edition.
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.04.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): NGINX
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
A fresh install on Ubuntu 20.04 after 1 week (on Mondays) sends a logwatch report with error:
message repeated 5 times: [[origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2001.0" x-pid="784" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed] : 1 Times file '/var/log/fail2ban.log': open error: Permission denied [v8.2001.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2433 ] : 1 Times
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Feb 7 00:00 fail2ban.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 31 00:00 fail2ban.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 20 Jan 24 00:00 fail2ban.log.2.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 syslog adm 1055 Jan 17 09:41 fail2ban.log.3.gz*
I suppose during fresh install the owner of the file was syslog:adm and after 1 week it changed to root:adm
Changing ownership of that file doesn't help, guess system rewrites it.
Not a big deal, but would like to see less errors in logwatch.