1 (edited by maraven2001 2021-04-27 06:42:41)

Topic: Help With Installation

Hi,

I am new to iRedmail, and want to have my own mail server.  I have been reading a bit before jumping into the installation, and am well aware that there are a few things I don't really know how to set up.

I am behind a small home server (ClearOS), checked that port 25 is open in my ISP.  But I don't have a fixed IP address.  As far as I have managed to understand, I can't have a mail server without a fixed IP, but I do know that ClearOS gives me a DynDNS by default.

If my ClearOS (main server) is xxxxx.yyyy, can I use mail.xxxxx.yyyy as de FQDN where I will install iRedmail ?? I do have another server Domain available just in case, but would rather use this one if at all possible.

So the question is, based on my setup, what do I need to do to set up an email server ?

I have to change my MX records as well, do I also need a mail forwarding service, say like MailJet ??   I have a MailJet account already as well, just in case.

I would very much appreciate some help in putting everything together.

I can install iRedmail, no worries, I have the FQDN for the server (if at all possible I would use one based on my current server name, but I have another one just in case), and I also have a couple mail domains I want to set up.

Fortunately I can definitely go through most of the install, but will need help with the DNS records, the IP address to use or how to use the ClearOS DynDNS, and how to setup a mail forwarding service if needed (MailJet).

If someone can help me sort through these bits I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Manolo

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Help With Installation

maraven2001 wrote:

If my ClearOS (main server) is xxxxx.yyyy, can I use mail.xxxxx.yyyy as de FQDN where I will install iRedmail ??

Yes.

maraven2001 wrote:

I have to change my MX records as well, do I also need a mail forwarding service, say like MailJet ??   I have a MailJet account already as well, just in case.

Technically you can install iRedMail on a machine with dynamic IP, but too many spammers send spams from dynamic IP, so nowadays dynamic IP address is usually considered as spammer. The concern is emails sent from your server MAY be rejected by many recipient servers, That's why you better have a static one for mail service.

3 (edited by maraven2001 2021-04-27 15:17:10)

Thanks for the reply.

I know I should have a static address, but it is not possible as I really don't want to pay monthly fees for a cloud service, and the ISP does not offer them.

So, would using a mail forwarding service work, to compensate for not having a static IP address ??  Can I configure this into iRedmail, to forward everything to JetMail for example ??  And so, not get my emails rejected ?

Actually what I mean is a relay host.

Thanks again,

Manuel

Does your account with your ISP have email? Then you can relay outbound emails using your ISP email account. Or if JetMail provides forwarding, you can do that.
Your emails should not get rejected since they are not being sent from your dynamic address, but rather from your relay host- either your ISP or JetMail.

GerryM wrote:

Does your account with your ISP have email? Then you can relay outbound emails using your ISP email account. Or if JetMail provides forwarding, you can do that.
Your emails should not get rejected since they are not being sent from your dynamic address, but rather from your relay host- either your ISP or JetMail.

Thanks for the reply.

My ISP does not provide me with email, so far I have managed to set the DNS records for JetMail, but they are doing some sort of check of my domains so I am not a spammer or something like that.  Anyway I should be up and running tomorrow with MailJet and after that is OK will give iRedmail installation a go.  I had to place SDF and DKIM records, I have no idea what they are.

Will message if I need more assistance.  Thanks very much for the help so far.

Saludos,

Manuel

My strong recommendation: get a Gmail account.

Hahahahah trying to get away from them !!!!!  Plus it's no fun and there's nothing to learn.