Topic: userRecipientBccAddress & address tags

As noted in https://docs.iredmail.org/monitor.incom … h.bcc.html you can use userRecipientBccAddress to send per-user copies of emails.  I've been using this for a while, and it works great except...

It does NOT match the recipient if "address tagging" (suffix) is used.
For example, if I set it up for user "bob", then mail to "bob@myplace" will be BCC'd as it should be,
but mail to "bob+blahblah@myplace" will NOT be BCC'd.

Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this problem so that tagged emails will pass?

The only way I can think of to catch SOME of them (may not be able to catch mails that were BCC'd to begin with) is to use a domain-level BCC (which I already do) and add sieve filters to catch emails that were sent to "other" but contain addresses of interest in the destination fields.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: userRecipientBccAddress & address tags

bob+xxx@domain should work as expected, not idea why it doesn't on your server.
Do you have any detailed Postfix log for troubleshooting?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

bob+xxx@domain should work as expected, not idea why it doesn't on your server.
Do you have any detailed Postfix log for troubleshooting?

Thanks for assisting me in troubleshooting this.

I've attached a section of mail.log. Other than replacing my actual domain w/ "domain.tld", I didn't edit it.

I'm probably going to need to increase the logging level to see what's really going on, but it's at least a good introduction to the flow.  (Do you have a suggested postfix logging level to use? If not, I'll play with it until I hopefully get just enough detail to show how it's making its decision to skill the user-level BCC rule and use the domain default.)

The log shows the result of sending 3 mails, one to each of these addresses in sequence:
1. kids@domain.tld
2. kids-x@domain.tld
3. kids+x@domain.tld

GOALS:
- All received emails are BCC'd to copies@domain.tld, and land in one of these folders:
- - kids-in
- - other-in
- Emails to kids' accounts are also BCC'd to charles & michele, landing in their folders:
- - Kids-in

RESULTS:
- Email #1 was BCC'd to everyone and landed in the correct (kids-in, Kids-in) folders.
- Emails #2 & 3 was BCC'd to copies, but landed in "other-in" and were not BCC'd to parents.

Outbound messages work the same way, and have the same problem.

NOTABLE SERVER CONFIG:
Changed character for address tags:
    /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
        recipient_delimiter = -  (was +)
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
        recipient_delimiter = -+.  (was +)
Disabled auto-creation of folders based on address “detail” to accommodate  address tagging:
    /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:  lda_mailbox_autocreate = no
/etc/postfix/main.cf: always_bcc is NOT set

OpenLDAP (under domainName=domain.tld):
    enabledService=recipientbcc
    enabledService=senderbcc
    domainRecipientBccAddress=copies-other-in@domain.tld
    domainSenderBccAddress=copies-other-out@domain.tld

OpenLDAP (under ou=Users, mail=kids@domain.tld):
    enabledService=recipientbcc
    enabledService=senderbcc
    userRecipientBccAddress=copies-kids-in@domain.tld
    userSenderBccAddress=copies-kids-out@domain.tld

NOTEABLE Sieve filters on "copies" user
# rule:[Drop extra copies]
if header :is "x-sieve-redirected-from" "copies@boling.us"
{
    discard;
    stop;
}
# rule:[kids-in]
if header :contains "delivered-to" "copies-kids-in"
{
    redirect :copy "charles-kids-in@boling.us";
    redirect :copy "michele-kids-in@boling.us";
    stop;
}
# rule:[kids-out]
if header :contains "delivered-to" "copies-kids-out"
{
    redirect :copy "charles-kids-out@boling.us";
    redirect :copy "michele-kids-out@boling.us";
    stop;
}

NOTE:
The messages were actually sent to copies-other-in instead of copies-kids-in, confirming that it's postfix, not dovecot.

Post's attachments

mail.log 25.51 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Your first post says the address is bob+blahblah@, but your 2nd post changes it to "-".
iRedMail uses "+" as default recipient delimiter in Postfix/Dovecot/iRedAPD/iRedAdmin(-Pro)/Roundcube/..., i suggest don't change this.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Your first post says the address is bob+blahblah@, but your 2nd post changes it to "-".
iRedMail uses "+" as default recipient delimiter in Postfix/Dovecot/iRedAPD/iRedAdmin(-Pro)/Roundcube/..., i suggest don't change this.

It's true that I changed it; support of something other than "+" for a delimiter was a primary requirement for this mail server when I built it two years ago, having been on my wish list for over a decade. "-" is the primary delimiter that I use. Dovecot only supports a single delimiter for automatic folder selection, so it's set to "-". Postfix supports multiple delimiters, so to support delivery of messages to "legacy" addresses, I set its list to include both "-" and "+" (and added "." while I was at it)

Good thing to check, though, since the system wouldn't have received as much testing w/ other delimiters.  To see if the glitch is indeed only triggered when an alternate delimiter was used, I temporarily changed the postfix & dovecot configs both to "+" only (& restarted them), changed the LDAP BCC email addresses, and sent another test mail using "+".  Mail to "kids+x" was BCC'd to "copies+other-in" instead of "copies+kids-in".

The glitch occurs independent of the tag delimiter.

6 (edited by Fastidious 2021-07-08 20:41:42)

Change:

recipient_delimiter = -

To:

recipient_delimiter = +-

And on `/etc/dovecot/cond.d/20-lmtp.conf`:

lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox = yes