Topic: many issues and failure installing on FreeBSD 13.0 (SpamAssassin)

Version iRedMail-1.4.2
Using the downloadable installer
FreeBSD 13.0
LDAP backend
Nginx

I've tried this install a few times with very fresh installations of FreeBSD 13.0. I've tried without applying patches post install and with updating everything before attempting to install iRedMail.

I'm frustrated and don't mean this to be a blameful or judgmental post. But I think it is helpful feedback for the team and anyone else trying to do something similar.

From my standpoint, it just doesn't work with FreeBSD 13.0. I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge of the individual ports and dependencies could get it up and running. However, for me, if feels like a no-go.

Many of the ports required by the installer don't install cleanly without manual intervention. This appears to be related to iRedMail wanting to downgrade or upgrade them. It is easy enough to get around that with a 'make reinstall' on the version of the port iRedMail wants.

Where I've ultimately failed is with Spamassassin. SpamAssassin-3.4.5 doesn't compile cleanly with FreeBSD 13.0. I understand this is a port issue with FreeBSD and not an issue with iRedMail.
However, the docs for the install of iRedMail make it sound like simply running the install script on a fresh 13.0 machine should 'just work', and the reality is far from the truth.

In my opinion, I think it would be reasonable to suggest that someone have a very advanced knowledge of the ports system and managing failures, dependencies, etc before attempting to instal iRedMail.

For a bit more detail - I can install the package of SpamAssassin but it forces a downgrade of Perl from 5.34 to 5.32 however iRedMail's install script forced an upgrade from 5.32 to 5.34 and given that the script wants to compile the port, I'm not convinced that using the package will help the installer succeed anyway.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: many issues and failure installing on FreeBSD 13.0 (SpamAssassin)

I will investigate this issue today and come back later. Thanks for the feedback. smile

Finished the testing today on FreeBSD 13.0 with the latest ports tree, iRedMail installation went well and no error at all. Check the package status:

# pkg info |egrep "(perl5-|spamassassin)"
perl5-5.34.0                   Practical Extraction and Report Language
spamassassin-3.4.5             Highly efficient mail filter for identifying spam

My question is: did you upgrade the ports tree before running iRedMail installer?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Finished the testing today on FreeBSD 13.0 with the latest ports tree, iRedMail installation went well and no error at all. Check the package status:

# pkg info |egrep "(perl5-|spamassassin)"
perl5-5.34.0                   Practical Extraction and Report Language
spamassassin-3.4.5             Highly efficient mail filter for identifying spam

My question is: did you upgrade the ports tree before running iRedMail installer?

My followup question: if I wish to keep my FreeBSD-13 host up-to-date and run pkg upgrade, It wants to upgrade a LOT of p5 and other dependencies which exist because of running the iRedMail installer.

It's probably un-answerable, but how "safe" is it to track FreeBSD upgrades? I don't want to e.g. remain open to an NGINX CVE, if I can reasonably fix it by simply tracking the ports/pkg fixes.

I tested on a cloud VM provider who let me backup the image. The changes break some fundamentals in Postgres, and it didn't function well across reboot. IredAdmin, Sogo, roundcube all hated the result so I've rolled back.

This is quite a problem: The service now has a high dependency on CVE not being found, or being patched and addressed in the iRedmail solution.

geeohgeegeeoh wrote:

This is quite a problem: The service now has a high dependency on CVE not being found, or being patched and addressed in the iRedmail solution.

I'm afraid that we have to wait for ports tree to get them all up to date.