Topic: How do I configure multiple HD as mail storage?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.4.2
- Deployed with the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I am planning to migrate from an old Apple Mailserver to iRedMail. I have around 100 accounts, but most accounts are in access of 100GB. Therefore I have 6 volumes at the moment to spread the massive number of files.
Could anyone give me a lil hint how this would work in iRedMail? As far as I could tell I could put SymLinks in the /var/vmail Directory

/var/vmail/vmail1
/var/vmail/vmail2
/var/vmail/vmail3

etc. where vmail1…x points to a different volume. Is this the right approach?

I have seen that I am able to set the path individually for each user, but is there a round robin mechanism
to sprinkle new users between all drives?

best, Philip

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How do I configure multiple HD as mail storage?

philipjoens wrote:

etc. where vmail1…x points to a different volume. Is this the right approach?

Not exactly.
The vmail1...x is used for different directories or disk partitions, or mount points, but it doesn't rotate or balance the mailboxes or messages automatically.

Instead, the per-user mailbox path stored in SQL db is what you need. If you set the mailbox path in SQL to "/var/vmail/vmail2/...", then Dovecot (the POP3/IMAP/LDA server) will look up its mailbox under /var/vmail/vmail2.