Topic: Pre-migration questions
==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): none
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? n/a
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: will be RedHat Enterprise probably
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): n/a
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? unsure
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
I am a GroupWise consultant (which was formerly a Novell product, now MicroFocus). I have a small customer who is looking to possibly migrate to iRedMail - fewer than 20 defined users, probably only 10 active, but MANY domains!! I have a number of general questions. I'm familiar with Postfix generally (I use a MailScanner server with MailWatch currently for some projects), so I don't think iRedMail will be totally foreign to me, etc. But I've never used DoveCot. So here goes:
1. I'm assuming that IMAP is the best way to do this mail migration, but it will require knowing all passwords for the GroupWise accounts, correct? GroupWise does have "trusted applications" that allow an administrative task to do migrations of this sort without knowing the passwords, but I don't think IMAPSync supports this from the GW side? Is IMAPSync a part of iRedMail or is it a third-party add-on - I'm fuzzy on this!
2. We are accustomed to having email in a database, so that's not a concern, other than deciding which. I'm leaning towards MariaDB, but PostgreSQL is also an option for me. Current size of the system is roughly 35GB. Any recommendations as to why I might want one over the other?
3. We are planning RedHat Enterprise for the server - iRedMail Easy does not mention RHEL on the "comparison" page - is this just an oversight? Or should we just use Centos Stream?
4. What happens if you start with iRedMail Easy and then discontinue the subscription. Are there configuration changes that need to be made on the server, or does it just continue, but all upgrade/update functions must be done manually again?
5. What happens if you start with iRedMail Pro, and do not renew the license in a few years? System continues to work, but all admin reverts to manual again? Is there a demo of a "user" level access to iRedMail Pro that shows how to manage passwords, view quarantined mail, etc.?
6. This is probably just a Postfix question, but GroupWise allows multiple domains to funnel through to the same mailboxes. So, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org can all just go into the "danita" mailbox by default, and overrides are made for things like info@ that might need to go elsewhere. I'm assuming this can be done in virtual_alias_domains and virtual_alias_maps respectively in Postfix?
I think that gets me started. I've looked at the installation guides, etc., so I have a general idea of what to expect, and I'm going to start a test server this/next week to play around.