1 (edited by danitaz 2022-01-14 04:33:42)

Topic: Double-bounce from my secondary MX record

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.4.2 MARIADB edition.
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Rocky Linux 8
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Our iRedMail server is our primary mx record for our email.  Of course, we have a secondary server that can accept mail if iRedmail is down/busy.  iRedMail has decided it does not like our email server that is the secondary MX.  We constantly get a "double-bounce" error if the secondary MX server tries to connect to the iRedMail server.  I've whitelisted for greylisting.  I've whitelisted for spam.  What else do I need to whitelist to keep the iRedMail server from rejecting this mail?  I want ALL mail from this server to be accepted regardless.  After it's accepted, if Amavis thinks it's spam, etc. fine, but it at least needs to get into the processing queue. 

Here is a portion of the maillog -

Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/postscreen[2679121]: CONNECT from [192.223.10.63]:59414 to [192.168.110.215]:25
Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/postscreen[2679121]: WHITELISTED [192.223.10.63]:59414
Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/smtpd[2679124]: connect from xeams.caledonia.net[192.223.10.63]
Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/smtpd[2679124]: discarding EHLO keywords: CHUNKING
Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/smtpd[2679124]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from xeams.caledonia.net[192.223.10.63]: 550 5.1.0 <double-bounce@iris.caledonia.net>: Sender address rejected: User unknown; from=<double-bounce@iris.caledonia.net> to=<validuser@caledonia.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<iris.caledonia.net>
Jan 13 12:08:53 lochleven postfix/smtpd[2679124]: disconnect from xeams.caledonia.net[192.223.10.63] ehlo=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=4/5

this edited "validuser" can receive mail no problem if it comes directly to the iRedMail server as the primary MX, but going through the secondary fails!

According to the maillog, since January 9 we've had over 400 messages double-bounced like this - I need to figure this out ASAP.  Thanks!  I'll send multiple cups of coffee for this :-)

Danita

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Double-bounce from my secondary MX record

I'm going to be so overly caffinated that I won't know what to do - hehe.  This was such a dumb error!  When I went through and added all of my domain aliases in iredmail I didn't even think a thing about it when I added iris.caledonia.net as a mail domain.  But since that's actually also the secondary MX record, I really was getting a "double-bounce" because I guess the servers were going in a loop to figure out who was supposed to handle the email when it was passed off to iRedMail.  I removed iris.caledonia.net from the domain aliases on iRedMail, whacked the verify_cache.db on the relay server, and tried again.  It's all working now.  I thought about just deleting this message, but perhaps someone else will benefit from my thoughtlessness some day!

Thanks

Danita