Topic: Force install on devuan

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  1.5.1 MARIADB edition.
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Installed by script
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: devuan chimaera (= debian bullseye)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB (MySQL)
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
Hello. I use iredmail and I am very satisfied with it.
I decided to migrate from debian to devuan a few days ago (reason: systemd is nonsense)
I wrote the following two scripts to run iredadmin and iredapd and both work properly:
iredapd:

#!/sbin/openrc-run

name=$RC_SVCNAME
description="iRedAPD (A simple posfix policy server)"
command="/usr/bin/python3"
command_args="/opt/iredapd/iredapd.py"
pidfile="/run/iredapd.pid"

depend() {
    after net local-fs netmount 
}

iredadmin:

#!/sbin/openrc-run

name=$RC_SVCNAME
description="iRedAdmin daemon service"
supervisor="supervise-daemon"
command="/usr/bin/uwsgi"
command_args="--ini /opt/www/iredadmin/rc_scripts/uwsgi/debian.ini --pidfile /var/run/iredadmin/iredadmin.pid"

start_pre () {
    ebegin "Creating working directory"
    /bin/mkdir -p /var/run/iredadmin
    ebegin "Change owner of working-dir to iredadmin:iredadmin"
    /bin/chown iredadmin:iredadmin /var/run/iredadmin
    ebegin "Change permission of working-dir to 0755"
    /bin/chmod 0755 /var/run/iredadmin
#    ebegin "Starting the daemon"
#    /usr/bin/uwsgi --ini /opt/www/iredadmin/rc_scripts/uwsgi/debian.ini --pidfile /var/run/iredadmin/iredadmin.pid
}

depend() {
    after net local-fs netmount 
}

stop() {
    ebegin "Stopping $RC_SVCNAME"
    /usr/bin/uwsgi --stop /var/run/iredadmin/iredadmin.pid
    ebegin "Remove the working directory"
    /bin/rm -rf /var/run/iredadmin
    eend $?
}

I'm having a problem right now.
I'm going to update iredadmin but the installer script gives an error: {Release version of the operating system on this server is unsupported by iRedMail}
I know devuan is not officially supported by you but I am asking for help.
Can the script be set up to think: This is a Debian?
Or is there a way to install/update iredmail without using script?

regards

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Force install on devuan

No plan to get it working on Devuan shortly, sorry.
I suggest move to a supported distro instead, otherwise you need to deal with this issues for each iRedMail update.

Hello.
Solution to do this:
Note: This is not supported by the developers of this project! Use it at your own risk!
I noticed the installer script reads the distribution information from the os-release file in the / etc directory.
As a result, I changed this file as follows:

PRETTY_NAME="Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera)"
#NAME="Devuan GNU/Linux"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
#VERSION_ID="4"
VERSION_ID="11"
#VERSION="4 (chimaera)"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
#VERSION_CODENAME="chimaera"
VERSION_CODENAME="bullseye"
#ID=devuan
ID=debian
#ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="[iredmail forum not support more than 0 url!]"
SUPPORT_URL="[iredmail forum not support more than 0 url!]"
BUG_REPORT_URL="[iredmail forum not support more than 0 url!]"

And then, I upgraded iredmail 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 and everything was done right!
I only saw some small errors due to the inability of the installer script to restart mysql. Other than that, everything was like debian
I'm currently using my server and everything is fine.
note:
Dont worry! Most iredmail sections have sysvinit scripts:
SOGo: have sysvinit script
postfix: have sysvinit script
dovecot: have sysvinit script
amavis: have sysvinit script
iredapd: only systemd, but you can write sysvinit (or openrc) script
iredadmin: same as iredapd

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

No plan to get it working on Devuan shortly, sorry.
I suggest move to a supported distro instead, otherwise you need to deal with this issues for each iRedMail update.

I realize that supporting a new distribution that is fundamentally different from other platforms supported by the project is really hard, and I understand that.
But please at least create a way for people with enough knowledge and acceptance of responsibility to be able to install this project on unsupported platforms.

mobin2008 wrote:

But please at least create a way for people with enough knowledge and acceptance of responsibility to be able to install this project on unsupported platforms.

iRedMail is open source and written in Bash shell, i suppose it's not very hard to achieve this, but we do not recommend it.

Imagine you need to modify application update scripts each time you update iRedMail, needless to say the update scripts may change internally too, it's risky if you don't fully understand what it does and how it works.

You see, the problem is future maintenance, and your time.

By "difficult" I mean that all the operating systems you support use systemd (except BSDs, of course), and support for a Linux distribution that does not have systemd may make it more difficult to maintain the project.

I understand, but I think it's worth it. I had serious problems with systemd, extremely long boot time (more than 6 minutes hmm), consumption of system resources by systemd components (such as journald), high pressure on the system when reading journal (to the extent that the Minecraft server on background active, it crashed!), The launch of some services failed for no reason, and all the other reason that keeping my personal server turned into hell.

Anyway, thank you for letting me (and perhaps those who will read this topic in the future) know the dangers of doing so.

Have nice day smile