Topic: How to prevent emails sent to go to spam

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.5.2
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? --> installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginix
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? iRedAdmin
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello everyone,
we want to move our business mail account from MS Exchange to a self-hosted email server. We have chosen iRedMail for that purpose and I have set-up a server to test it first with another domain not our business domain.

However, I have the issue that all emails go to spam when I sent them. I understand that this is not a specific issue of iRedMail, but a general issue of self-hosted email servers. I also have setup the DKIM & DMARC records.

From the way I understand everything I could find so far on the internet, the algorithm has to be trained to not mark the email as spam. My question is not to what does the algorithm refer? Has it to be trained for the email server, so if I would setup another email domain on the server if would also not mark it as spam, the email domain or each individual email address? I would assume it is the email domain, but not quite sure. So, if I would move our email domain which we are already using to our iRedMail server will it go to the inbox since we are using them already for some years and so fare there is no spam issue or is everything set to zero since they are coming now from a new server?

Of course before we move our business email domain to the email server we have to figure this out, because we cannot risk that all or some of our emails go to spam.

Thank you very much in advance for your support. I highly appreciate it.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How to prevent emails sent to go to spam

"self-hosted email server"

what does it mean? a dedicated Root/VPS, or just a computer in your house?
if you dont have the correct PTR for your IP and/or your IP is a dynamic one, then there is nothing that can be trained

Thank you very much for your reply @Cthulhu

It just does mean that we are not using an email service hosted by a provider like MS Exchange or so.

We are using a virtual server hosted by 1&1 with a dedicated IP. So, this one stays the same.

So, you are suggesting the training is linking to the IP address of the server rather than to the domain?

4 (edited by Cthulhu 2022-05-11 01:18:19)

there is no training for outgoing mail, only thing you can train is SA and thats just for incoming mail

you need:
- PTR matching mail server HELO
- SPF
- DKIM
- DMARC
- FQDN

aswell, the IP should not be listed in a spammer IP block, some providers aswell align blacklists to a whole AS (like uceprotect)

without any information regarding your configuration, hostname/ip, or mail headers sent by your outgoing mail, its near impossible to find a solution because it is pure guessing