Topic: Is this error coming from Thunderbird or Dovecot?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.5.1
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.x LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi everyone! I have been knocking my head against a wall for hours on this one. I have a user who is using Thunderbird. When they compose longer messages and draft auto-save tries to save a message, they are seeing this error...

"Your draft message was not copied to your drafts folder (Drafts) due to network or file access errors. You can retry or save the draft locally to Local Folders/Drafts-myuser@theirdomain"

My research points to Thunderbird or a Desktop AV being the issue, but I'm not sure how to disprove that the problem is not within Dovecot itself. I combed the Dovecot logs and found nothing that would pertain to this, but I'm still not 100% sure. Also, my user does not have any Desktop AV program running so it is not that causing it.

Has anyone seen this before? If yes, is Dovecot the issue? Or is it end-user software or network issue?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Is this error coming from Thunderbird or Dovecot?

Any error in /var/log/dovecot/*.log (especially "imap.log") when this issue happens?

Thanks for your response Zhang!

I re-checked the imap and dovecot logs for yesterday since my user said it happened to him twice then. I don't think what I'm seeing are errors, but here is an example of what I do see in the IMAP log...

May 10 18:51:12 mail0 dovecot: imap(myuser@theirdomain.com)<2278441><Q/j2zqzeONJHq2Y6>: expunge: box=Drafts, uid=8, msgid=<717de34c-f28b-eae4-b256-9bc1562cfc90@theirdomain.com>, size=3041, from=MyUser <myuser@theirdomain.com>, subject=Re: FW: SUBJECT_HERE, flags=(\Deleted \Seen \Draft)

As for the dovecot log, I see entries like these, but I'm not even sure they pertain to this user or if they are important...

May 10 11:24:40 mail0 dovecot: auth: Warning: auth client 0 disconnected with 1 pending requests: EOF

May 10 11:25:18 mail0 dovecot: auth: Warning: auth client 0 disconnected with 1 pending requests: Connection reset by peer

May 10 11:42:36 mail0 dovecot: auth: Warning: Event 0x55a604be5340 leaked (parent=(nil)): auth-client-connection.c:338

I suggest try to reproduce the issue again, and you check Dovecot log file on server at the same time, this way it's a lot easier to get relevant log lines for troubleshooting.