Topic: Best practice updating host system?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version 1.6:
- Deployed with the downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes, 5.1
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Maybe there is a best practice already. I try to stay current for iRedMail and iRedAdmin-Pro but what about the host system iRedMail is running on?
Can updates be safely installed? How about upgrades eg Ubuntu 20.04 to 20.05?

I did not find a guide for this subject.

Glad for any help.
Philip

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Best practice updating host system?

philipjoens wrote:

Can updates be safely installed? How about upgrades eg Ubuntu 20.04 to 20.05?

Yes. Simply run "apt update && apt upgrade" should upgrade it to latest (minor) release.

If you need SOGo Groupware, then please do not upgrade to 22.04 right now, SOGo team doesn't offer binary packages for 22.04 yet.

Leave a reply in my report to help push them: https://bugs.sogo.nu/view.php?id=5511

Maybe I should have asked more precise .. sorry. I know I can update the host System. And special care should be taken before a major change eg from 20.04 to 22.04.

But my question is: how likely is it that a minor update will break the existing iRedMail installation?  Bringing me into the situation that I upgraded the system and might be left with an unusable server.

philipjoens wrote:

how likely is it that a minor update will break the existing iRedMail installation?

Usually upgrading OS to minor release (e.g. 20.04.1 -> 20.04.2) will NOT break iRedMail since it doesn't upgrade package to new big release.

For example, Dovecot 2.3 has breaking configuration parameters and not fully backward-compatible, upgrading dovecot 2.2 to 2.3 (during upgrading major os release, e.g. 20.04.x -> 22.04.x) will cause iRedMail broken because dovecot will not run at all. But Ubuntu doesn't upgrade dovecot from 2.2 to 2.3 in minor release, so this will not happen.