Topic: Scaling to 10k, 100k, 1Ms users

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.6.2
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I'm spec'ing out to serve initially 10k's of users and scaling this to 100k's in a year and potentially 1M's in multiple years. My plan is to use:
- AWS RDS (MySQL) for accounts
- S3 (or potentially EFS, though this would be costly) for storage
- Multiple installations in EC2 behind a load balancer

Given that we're using a shared DB and shared storage, any idea on the head room for scaling horizontally and supporting this number of users?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Scaling to 10k, 100k, 1Ms users

With 1 million potential users you should really use another setup. Like Wildduck or similar.

Re: Scaling to 10k, 100k, 1Ms users

spudtrooper wrote:

I'm spec'ing out to serve initially 10k's of users and scaling this to 100k's in a year and potentially 1M's in multiple years.

I wonder whether it will come true, because if incorrect prediction may cost a lot money and time to design and implement the system.

Also, how many active mailboxes with this 1M accounts? and how many emails will be sent / received per day? Is a load balance cluster (or a simple load balancer) really required?