Topic: ActiveSync failing to send large email with Outlook

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.6.2 PGSQL edition
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 11
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

When I try to send an email with a largish attachment (anything over 10MB it seems) using Outlook (latest version) that's connected via Sogo ActiveSync the email just hangs in the outbox.  No amount of restarting Outlook for forcing to send emails has helped.  I've even tried restarting the Sogo daemon.  Sending the same email/attachment via the sogo web interface works fine.  The only error in the sogo log that stands out to me is this...

Jan 27 14:05:39 sogod [1627293]: [WARN] <0x0x561b87330f10[WOWatchDogChild]> pid 1627298 has been hanging in the same request for 8 minutes

But I'm not sure what other logs I should look at.  The limit seems to be right at 10MB, is there some default configuration that needs to be changed?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: ActiveSync failing to send large email with Outlook

Another data point to consider.  Sending the same email via ActiveSync also fails from my iPhone using the default iOS mail app.  The first time I got an error that says "cannot send mail.  An error occurred while delivering this message".  When I try to resend that same email I get a different error that says "the message was rejected by the server because it's too large".  So that seems pretty definitive, there must be some setting I can change on the sogo side to allow larger emails?

Todd1561 wrote:

Another data point to consider.  Sending the same email via ActiveSync also fails from my iPhone using the default iOS mail app.  The first time I got an error that says "cannot send mail.  An error occurred while delivering this message".  When I try to resend that same email I get a different error that says "the message was rejected by the server because it's too large".  So that seems pretty definitive, there must be some setting I can change on the sogo side to allow larger emails?

Had the exact same problem, had to change the timeout configuration for my configuration.

Cool, in which configuration file is that change made?  And what’s the parameter name?

Thanks!

jackb wrote:
Todd1561 wrote:

Had the exact same problem, had to change the timeout configuration for my configuration.

I went thru the entire /etc/sogo/sogo.conf file and didn't see any timeout values that looked relevant, can you elaborate on where this change was?  I did find 2 parameters for setting message size limits that were both set to 15MB, which seems pretty small, so I bumped them both to 100MB, but that didn't help.  (They were WOMaxUploadSize and SOGoMaximumMessageSizeLimit)

Nevermind, I figured it out.  For anyone else that stumbles across this I'll leave these notes here.  It turned out to be an nginx problem, the default 'client_max_body_size' was set to just 12MB out of the box.  I updated that to 100mb in /etc/nginx/conf-enabled/client_max_body_size.conf, restarted nginx and all is well now.  12MB seems like a pretty low setting, I'd suggest that the iRedMail team bump that up in future releases.  IDK if the 2 Sogo settings I mentioned above had to be changed as well, but it seems like they would given their descriptions, so I left those at the 100MB I set them to previously.

What doesn't make sense to me (and why I didn't initially suspect the web server) was that sending large attachments via the sogo web interface had no issue.  They are both using nginx so IDK why this was only a problem for ActiveSync and not webmail.  But regardless all is well now in both Outlook and iOS Mail.