Topic: clamscan takes 100% CPU until server restart
==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.5.2
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
About every week usually at about 10pm Sydney time clamscan goes to 100% CPU and makes the box mostly unresponsive. I did some OS updates and it improved a bit but eventually goes back. I've looked in a few places and made some modifications but ultimately the problem remains.
The instance is hosted in AWS and has an EFS drive for the mail storage however looking at the metrics the scan is struggling on the EBS volume (OS and apps).
To try and figure out whats wrong, what is triggering the scan at 10pm? I've looked through crons and can't find anything referencing clamav.
Are there any logs? I think I need to enable it at /etc/freshclam.conf? I've had a look through /var/log/messages and nothing stands out. I updated clamav 0.103.8-3.
Are there any other things I can look at? I've implemented a few "fixes" available through forums for this issue but it's resulted in no change.
----Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Stable release is out.