Topic: Another way to upgrade iRedmail... Would it work?

Hello,

I bought a few days ago the iRedAdmin 1.4.1
I have our main server (iRedmail 0.6.0 RC1) installed on an Ubuntu 9.10 on a virtual machine on VMware ESXi.

I was wondering if this could be an easier way to upgrade, and what could not work...

If we follow these steps:
1) install a brand new Virtual Machine with fresh Ubuntu 10.04, iRedmail 0.7.0 and iRedAdmin 1.4.1
2) Backup all the LDAP accounts on the 9.10/0.60RC1 with iRedAdmin
3) Restore the accounts on the new 10.04/0.7.0 (how?)
4) Transfer all the database table data with Navicat from old server to new server
5) Rsync the complete vmail directory from the old server to new server
6) Switch the IPs
7) Power down the 9.10 VM smile)

Would it be possible? Or would it fail miserably? smile))
What other steps should be performed?

Many thanks

Alberto

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Another way to upgrade iRedmail... Would it work?

Albux wrote:

I was wondering if this could be an easier way to upgrade, and what could not work...

If we follow these steps:
1) install a brand new Virtual Machine with fresh Ubuntu 10.04, iRedmail 0.7.0 and iRedAdmin 1.4.1
2) Backup all the LDAP accounts on the 9.10/0.60RC1 with iRedAdmin
3) Restore the accounts on the new 10.04/0.7.0 (how?)
4) Transfer all the database table data with Navicat from old server to new server
5) Rsync the complete vmail directory from the old server to new server
6) Switch the IPs
7) Power down the 9.10 VM smile)

This way is possible, and easier - sometimes. Just like migrate an old iRedMail.

Most of time, we just change some config files to achieve new features or fix some issues, that means you can simply perform a EXPORT->IMPORT step to migrate data (mail accounts, sql databases, etc).

The problem is, we didn't mention what LDAP/MySQL data need to be updated in separate section of upgrade tutorials. You have to read related upgrade tutorials (from the version you use to latest version) to find what you need to update, especially MySQL structure (database "vmail").

For example, in OpenLDAP backend, we need to add a new value in attribute "enabledService":

- Add missing value for mail users.
  http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … mail_users

Another issue is MySQL user permission. Do *NOT* export->import database "mysql", because you already have correct privileges on new server, it will override user permissions on new server.

Please make sure you already backup your old server, if this migration doesn't work, you still have a running box.
Post issues in this forum, let's work together to fix them. smile