Topic: Firewall problems

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.6.2
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: 20.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue. - Not sure how to find the error message
====

I installed iredmail on a clean ubunutu server and it works well except, periodically, the firewall changes and blocks all ports. If I use 'nft -f /etc/nftables.conf' it fixes the problem but only for a while. Sometimes minutes, other times for a few hours. How can I track down the problem to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Firewall problems

It might be banned by Fail2ban. Check log files under /var/log/ to figure it out.

Re: Firewall problems

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

It might be banned by Fail2ban. Check log files under /var/log/ to figure it out.

I wondered the same thing so I added my IP to the Fail2ban whitelist. The problem still happened after that.

What seemed to work was to change iptables config from iptables-legacy (auto mode) to iptables-nft (manual mode.) Since making that change, everything has stayed stable for about 6 hours. Previously, it was failing every 15 - 90 minutes. Are there any downsides to this option for iredmail?

Thanks!