1 (edited by dw454454 2023-04-07 17:55:00)

Topic: Fresh install : strange kernel module loading

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): Latest stable 1.6.2
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 11 (cloud init)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hello, I've just made a fresh install of iRedmail. Once I boot the VM, I see the following message printed on the tty : (see screenshot), telling me that the "wireguard module" has been loaded to the kernel. But I have not installed wireguard and when check if the package is installed, apt and dpkg cleary state that it is not.

The question is : does the iRedmail installer installs automatically wireguard ? If yes, why ? thx

Post's attachments

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 11.40.25.png 97.08 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Fresh install : strange kernel module loading

iRedMail doesn't use or install wireguard explicitly.
It MIGHT be installed as a dependent package used by iRedMail, or (more likely) installed before iRedMail installation.

3 (edited by Cthulhu 2023-04-07 19:29:25)

Wireguard is implemented in Linux Kernel >= 5.6 by default

Since you use Debian 11, which uses 5.10 by default, i assume that your image of Debian 11 has it preinstalled (which makes sense if you have a server which runs as a cloud instance), since it doesn't come from iRedMail

Thanks for your responses. I installed another VM the same day I've installed the one with iRedmail, and this second VM does not have the wireguard module installed. I have checked the kernel version and they are the same (which makes senses because the VM were installed from the same base image).

iRedmail VM :
Linux mx 5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The other VM:
Linux vm111 5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

So it seems that there is a package that iRedmail installs which dependends on wireguard. What I do not understand, it's that it only installs the kernel module without the softwares needed for wireguard to work (i.e. `wg` command line tool, ...).

5 (edited by dw454454 2023-04-08 07:53:26)

dw454454 wrote:

Thanks for your responses. I installed another VM the same day I've installed the one with iRedmail, and this second VM does not have the wireguard module installed. I have checked the kernel version and they are the same (which makes senses because the VM were installed from the same base image).

iRedmail VM :
Linux mx 5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The other VM:
Linux vm111 5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

So it seems that there is a package that iRedmail installs which dependends on wireguard. What I do not understand, it's that it only installs the kernel module without the softwares needed for wireguard to work (i.e. `wg` command line tool, ...).

Also, I forgot to specify that of course both installs and specifically the one with iRedmail were done on a clean system/fresh install, the scripts I've executed right after the installation was finished are the one described in your docs :

sudo apt-get install gzip dialog
wget ... (download iRedmail archive from github)
tar zxf iRedMail-x.y.z.tar.gz
cd /root/iRedMail-x.y.z/
bash iRedMail.sh

I've figured out that as @Cthulhu said, wireguard is indeed shipped with my cloud init image, since both VM have the following file : /lib/modules/5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko

The only difference is that wireguard kernel module is enabled (still don't understand why) on my iRedmail instance

dw454454 wrote:

iRedmail VM :

The other VM:

Both of my virtual machines include the following file, which indicates that wireguard is indeed included with the cloud init image that I use: /lib/modules/5.10.0-21-cloud-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko