Topic: Need Migration to IRedMail assistance

I think that I need a little help here let me start off by saying that I am pretty much a novice in mail system
administration. I will do my best to layout my scenario. I am in the process of preparing to roll
out my new IRedMail server, and there are a few things I am unsure about. We currently have an older postfix server that
accepts mail as the final destination for our domain. It is behind a postfix gateway. What I am trying to do is make it so
I can run the two servers in parallel during the cut over to the new system.
    From what I have read I should be able to easily set up the gateway machine to act as a mail hub by
1) Creating a transport map with entries for each of the two servers, as below
        mail.example.com    smtp:[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
        mail1.example.com    smtp:[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    and setting the postfix parameter transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport to point to the hashsed version.
2) Creating a virtual map to map each users address to the correct server as such
    user1@example.com    user1@mail.example.com
    user2@example.com    user2@mail1.example.com
  and so on for each user that I want to accept mail for. Then set this up in the main.cf
      virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
    And Please correct me if I am wrong. The question that I have is basically what do I have to do on the IRedMail machine to make sure that all the mail coming to the machines hostname proper goes to the virtual domain that I have set up?
    ie mail comes from the gateway to user2@mail1.example.com but the virtual domain that I have configured is example.com
    so do I have to do some mapping on the machine to map user2@mail1.example.com to user2@example.com in order for the mail to be accepted?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Need Migration to IRedMail assistance

Are you planning to migrate your email to your new iRedMail server?
Why not setup your iRedMail and export and sync your email using imapsync?
you can import your email account using the create_mail_user_OpenLDAP script inside your iRedMail folder...

hata_ph wrote:

you can import your email account using the create_mail_user_OpenLDAP script inside your iRedMail folder...

Thanks for the response. I already did set up imapsync to copy the mail over and I am running it nightly via a script to keep the copy up to date. The reason I am wanting to move users over a few at a time is that I have about 25 that I will need to change the settings on their workstations for, most of them who subscribe to 10 to 15 differnt mailboxes. So the reason that I want to phase the implementation as mentioned is so that I can concentrate on setting them up a little at a time.

Chris_2011,
They are two separate physical machines (in this case) each running postfix old one with courier IMAP and /etc/shadow backend (no virtual just a plain old no frills mail server )  new one (iredmail) with dovecot, and Ldap backend I thought that was fairly clear from my post but point taken none the less.

tsradmin19 wrote:
hata_ph wrote:

Thanks for the response. I already did set up imapsync to copy the mail over and I am running it nightly via a script to keep the copy up to date. The reason I am wanting to move users over a few at a time is that I have about 25 that I will need to change the settings on their workstations for, most of them who subscribe to 10 to 15 differnt mailboxes. So the reason that I want to phase the implementation as mentioned is so that I can concentrate on setting them up a little at a time.

IMAPSYNC and mail forwarding can help you to transfer/migration your email to another server. You need to plan your migration plan since you have down time problem...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix … r-account/

hata_ph wrote:
tsradmin19 wrote:
hata_ph wrote:

IMAPSYNC and mail forwarding can help you to transfer/migration your email to another server. You need to plan your migration plan since you have down time problem...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix … r-account/

hata_ph,
      Thank you again for you response, and for confirming that how to get the mail hub to forward the mail to the right server for me. I have one additional question. How do I ensure that mail for the hostname proper of my Iredmail server is accepted and sent to the virtual host that I I have configured on that machine? The hostname is mail.mydomain.com the virtual mail domain is mydomain.com. In order for it to work I will need to have the hub deliver all mail based on hostname, so like
me@mydomain.com is my email address, and say I have another user boss@mydomain.com, the mail comes into the mail hub, the mail hub does a look-up in the virtual_alias_maps and sees that me@mydomain.com gets delivered to mail1.mydomain.com, so trivial rewrite would rewrite the address as me@mail1.mydomain.com correct? the mail would then arrive at my iredmail server as me@mail1.mydomain.com, what I am asking is do I have to somehow map it back to me@mydomain.com when it arrives at the my iredmail server (mail1.mydomain.com) or is there a way that I can make my iredmail server accept mail for me@mail1.mydomain.com and deliver it to me@mydomain.com? maybe it up in an alias? or something? Sorry if the above is a bit confusing, it is a difficult scenario to put into words I think.
Again Thank you.

I am no email server expert but it seem you want to keep both email server running at the same time and want both server have the same email too?

hata_ph wrote:

I am no email server expert but it seem you want to keep both email server running at the same time and want both server have the same email too?

Precisely right. My requirements are to
1) maintain the same email addresses that are currently in use.
2) Keep accepting mail on the current server for users that I have not yet transitioned to the new one.
3) Begin accepting mail on the new server for users that I have transitioned
4) Have it be as seemless as is possible.
I think that I may have figured it out yesterday I do not  at this point think that I need to map the addresses back once they arrive at my new server, I need to set up a test and try it though. Thank you for your help, that article that you pointed me to was very  useful.

Once you figure out the way pls share it in the forum...