1 (edited by saif 2011-05-14 18:17:24)

Topic: Transferring all Virtual Domain and Accounts from old postfix dovecot

Hi,

Thanks for this super email server. I've use iRedmail before in fresh environment without any problem. This time I'm deploying it for an existing environment where we've got 4000+ email accounts and 100+ virtual domains. The existing email server has postfix and dovecot. It doesn't have any mysql or ldap. So i think it's keeping it's virtual domain and email account info in the .cdb file under /etc/postfix directory. Kindly advice me how can we transfer all virtual domain and existing email account with password, alias, forwarding settings into iredmail. Thanks for you help in advance.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Transferring all Virtual Domain and Accounts from old postfix dovecot

iRedMail uses Postfix & Dovecot too, i think it should be easy to migrate from your old mail server by simply keeping same lookup maps in postfix and dovecot.

Thank you.

Have one more query. How can i change the mailbox format of dovecot? In my previous server courierimap using maildir format, like:

user-mailbox
    -------cur
    -------tmp
    -------new

Will it effect anything in sieve?

Dovecot in iRedMail uses Maildir format too.

Thanks for the reply.

In the current format the maildir for a user webmaster@example.com is example.com/w/e/b/webmaster-2011.05.12.12.33.55/. I'm importing all virtual domain and user account from our old email server. What shall be the maildir field? If we put it like example.com/webmaster would dovecot be able to read it? Or we have to change anything in dovecot? Actually it would be very feasible for us if the maildir format is like this: vmail/virtualdomainname/user/(cur / tmp / new).  Also kindly advice if the password needed to be encrypted with md5 or i could be plain mysql password in the database.

Thanks again!

you can use imapsync to sync/migrate your emails

saif wrote:

In the current format the maildir for a user webmaster@example.com is example.com/w/e/b/webmaster-2011.05.12.12.33.55/. I'm importing all virtual domain and user account from our old email server. What shall be the maildir field? If we put it like example.com/webmaster would dovecot be able to read it?

Maildir format is stored in LDAP or MySQL, if you store 'example.com/webmaster/' in LDAP/MySQL, dovecot will use it directly.
Try to get LDIF data or MySQL records of exist users, then you will know which attributes/sql columns you should use to store maildir.

Also kindly advice if the password needed to be encrypted with md5 or i could be plain mysql password in the database.

It's recommended to store encrypted passwords instead of plain text.