1 (edited by Jordan Raychev 2016-03-28 01:07:16)

Topic: Problem with sending emails

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  0.9.4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro: No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I've been searching for a proper answer but I couldn't find one.
The problem is that I'm not able to send mails from my server but I can receive mails.
I've done probably everything I can and I still cannot make things happen.

Here is an output of /var/log/maillog:

Mar 27 08:07:42 mail postfix/smtp[21230]: connect to mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.37]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 27 08:07:42 mail postfix/smtp[21231]: connect to mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[63.250.192.46]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 27 08:08:12 mail postfix/smtp[21230]: connect to mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[98.136.216.26]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 27 08:08:12 mail postfix/smtp[21231]: connect to mta7.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.34]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 27 08:08:42 mail postfix/smtp[21230]: connect to mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.36]:25: Connection timed out

From what I've read so far, that's a network related issue, probably port 25 is blocked either by my edge router (not the case) or my ISP. I have talked to them and they claim that the port is open!

When i telnet to my own server i get a 220 reply and everything is working fine.
When i try to telnet to another server (either yahoo or google) the connection times out.

I start to think that my ISP is lying to me and don't want to open that port if I don't pay for premium account.

In case they're not lying. What would you suggest to do to get things working?

Here is a traceroute output just in case:

[root@mail ~]# traceroute -n -T -p 25 66.196.118.34
traceroute to 66.196.118.34 (66.196.118.34), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  192.168.1.1  0.975 ms  0.955 ms  0.946 ms
2  * * *
3  * * *
4  * * *
5  * * *
6  * * *
7  * * *
8  * * *
9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *
[root@mail ~]#

I get a response from my router, but nothing after that as you can see.

Edit:

Eventually I gave up and end up using gmail servers as a relay host. The method works just fine, I can send mails through their server, but I really don't wanna do that.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Problem with sending emails

Does the traceroute get further when you don't specify port 25? I'm assuming so.

I'd run tcpdump on egress interface at 192.168.1.1 and look for returning ICMP prohibited messages. Also you can make sure your NAT is working properly and you aren't somehow sending out SMTP traffic un-NAT'd.

Which ISP?

Jordan Raychev wrote:

When i try to telnet to another server (either yahoo or google) the connection times out.

It looks like port 25 is not open on some network devices between your server and yahoo/google/....

Can you reach iredmail.org on your server? Maybe the just block big ISPs like yahoo/google.

telnet mail.iredmail.org 25

It's better to contact your ISP again, tell them the issue, ask for help and a solution.

ikewinski wrote:

Does the traceroute get further when you don't specify port 25? I'm assuming so.

I'd run tcpdump on egress interface at 192.168.1.1 and look for returning ICMP prohibited messages. Also you can make sure your NAT is working properly and you aren't somehow sending out SMTP traffic un-NAT'd.

Which ISP?

Yes, traceroute gets further when another ports is specified.

I live in Bulgaria and I am not sure if my ISP's name would help, anyway it's Networx Ltd.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
Jordan Raychev wrote:

It looks like port 25 is not open on some network devices between your server and yahoo/google/....

Can you reach iredmail.org on your server? Maybe the just block big ISPs like yahoo/google.

telnet mail.iredmail.org 25

It's better to contact your ISP again, tell them the issue, ask for help and a solution.

Unfortunately I can't reach anything on port 25, only my own server.

Hello again,

A little update...

After few hours of searching what may be blocking port 25 I end up disabling all firewalls between my server and my ISP and lo and behold everything worked as a charm.

I didn't want to leave my firewalls down, so I went and turn them on again. And then the strange thing happened. Everything was working as expected.

I really don't want to leave things as they are, cause at the end I don't know what actually solved the problem.

Anyway after getting back from work, I am going to investigate the problem further more and reply with an update.

Thanks for the assistance!

Regards,
Jordan