Topic: slapd not starting on freebsd 8.1 (x86_64)

i tested on Freebsd 8.1 (x86_64), first postfix26 didnt compile so i had to manually install it and re-run the script. After that slapd didnot start at all, the following are the errors:

test2# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd restart
slapd not running? (check /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid).
Starting slapd.
Segmentation fault
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd: WARNING: failed to start slapd

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by maxie_ro 2010-08-25 16:15:22)

Re: slapd not starting on freebsd 8.1 (x86_64)

rein wrote:

Segmentation fault

I think it would be better to ask this question on FreeBSD forums/mailing lists. I don't think it is related to iRedMail...

I got "Segmentation fault" too.
Not sure why it happened. Can you try to delete OpenLDAP (and all data) and re-install it?

Also, you can try other supported distributions: RHEL, CentOS, Debian 5, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I got "Segmentation fault" too.
Not sure why it happened. Can you try to delete OpenLDAP (and all data) and re-install it?

Also, you can try other supported distributions: RHEL, CentOS, Debian 5, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

The reason is:

The  "LDAP_R_COMPILE" flag in /etc/make.conf is turned on to make it build and install a libldap_r library  . So it installs the "ldap-client" port first which installs that library.

Then it builds the actual server code from the "ldap-server" port. But there it has the "WITH_SHELL" flag turned on which is supposed to turn OFF the threaded version. Somehow OpenLDAP's configure script still picks up this libldap_r library and links it in even though the code isn't compile with all the right flags.

Result is that the slapd binary is now trying to use the wrong library code that expects certain structures to be initialized but they're not, so SEGFAULT.

So just have to manually re-install the net/openldap24-server port without the SHELL backend module.
(credits: Ivan)

Thanks rein.

Can we remove LDAP_R_COMPILE flag or just disable SHELL backend to make it work, instead of re-install it?