Topic: Using iRedMail as a test system

======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6 MYSQL edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I'm the lab manager that supporting some developers that are creating a new product for my company.  One of the components of this product is to send email notifications.  They want to send Authenticated, and non-authenticated.  I don't know if they even know that SSL exists.

I setup an iRedMail server to serve as the test target.  The "real world" smtp server so to speak.

Of course I'm having issues.

But at this point, I'm can't determine if it's the client my developers are coding, or the way I configured the server.

So when I send Unauthenticated (port 25) to a local user, it works.   (i'd like to figure out how to forward to our real mail-server, but that's another day)

When I enable authentication (On the mail client and use port 587), it fails

Here's the mail.log for the connection

Apr 10 15:36:02 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2159]: connect from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.yyy.com[10.30.35.21]
Apr 10 15:36:02 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2159]: improper command pipelining after HELO from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.yyy.com[10.30.35.21]: \r\n
Apr 10 15:36:02 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2159]: lost connection after HELO from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.yyy.com[10.30.35.21]
Apr 10 15:36:02 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2159]: disconnect from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.yyy.com[10.30.35.21] helo=1 ehlo=1 auth=0/1 commands=2/3

attaching the main.cf

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Post's attachments

main.cf 11.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Using iRedMail as a test system

mike.king wrote:

Try to send email with mail client, for example, Thunderbird. If Thunderbird works, then it's the problem of the code wrote by your programmer.

TLS support is widely implemented in many many programming languages or third-party mail related modules, i don't think it will be a problem.

Re: Using iRedMail as a test system

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
mike.king wrote:

Try to send email with mail client, for example, Thunderbird. If Thunderbird works, then it's the problem of the code wrote by your programmer.

TLS support is widely implemented in many many programming languages or third-party mail related modules, i don't think it will be a problem.

Seriously, I can't believe I didn't think of that.  Too close to the problem, didn't take the wider view.

So with Thunderbird, everything is fine.

I'm assuming then that this means:

Apr 10 21:29:48 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2346]: connect from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.philips.com[10.30.35.21]
Apr 10 21:29:48 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2346]: improper command pipelining after HELO from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.philips.com[10.30.35.21]: \r\n
Apr 10 21:29:48 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2346]: lost connection after HELO from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.philips.com[10.30.35.21]
Apr 10 21:29:48 iredmail postfix/submission/smtpd[2346]: disconnect from sti-apm.nest.anr.ms.philips.com[10.30.35.21] helo=1 ehlo=1 auth=0/1 commands=2/3

they aren't even doing STARTSSL