Topic: Installation related questions

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? not yet
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
1. After selecting MySQL in installation, it asks for root password. What if root account has been renamed? Will I have to make any adjustments?

2. Screen "Your first mail domain name" does not accept my domain.com name. It has to be the same, because our Apache2 server is running that way and all the websites depend on it. I cannot change the domain name to mail.domain.com in hosts file, because it is not only a mail server. Email server has to be alongside with web server.

P.S. why is this forum not secure, no HTTPS, no free SSL?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Installation related questions

*) You can specify the MySQL root user name while running iRedMail installer like this:

MYSQL_ROOT_USER=‘<your_user>’ bash iRedMail.sh

BUT, the best way is renaming it back to ‘root’.

*) Apache web host domain name does NOT have to be SAME as system hostname. If they’re different, just update your DNS to point to the correct IP addresses (in your case, they should point to same IP address).
*) Mail domain name MUST be different than the server hostname. yes, must be different.

resend wrote:

P.S. why is this forum not secure, no HTTPS, no free SSL?

forum is a virtual web host running on a shared hosting vendor’s server (historical reason), we’re working on Ansible code to fully move all *.iredmail.org to our dedicated VPS server. Ideally it should be done in 1 month with testing and final deployment.