Topic: Reduce 'Spamminess' of iRedMail emails? System uses IP in HELO, etc.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:  Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

My emails are getting closer to being received by recipients.  I have woothosting setting a PTR record (hasn't propagated) and my DKIM and SPF records appear to be correct.

The big issue, and the reason my emails are presently failing, appears to be that I'm sending out IP addresses in emails rather than domains.

Using mail-test.com, I get the following 'big' issues:

-1.999    FSL_HELO_BARE_IP_2    IP used in the HELO request
The hostname should be a domain name, not an IP address

-1.985    PYZOR_CHECK    Similar message reported on Pyzor (http://pyzor.org)
Please test a real content, test Newsletters will always be flagged by PyzorAdjust your message or request whitelisting (http://public.pyzor.org/whitelist/)

-0.865    RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO    Received: contains an IP address used for HELO

-1.274    RDNS_NONE    Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
This may be a false-positive, please check the reverse DNS test below to confirm or not this issue

So, I should 'get back' 1.274 points on the RDNS when my PTR record is global, but the rest of the marks are because I'm using IP addresses.

My mail server is called mail.lifeassetsllc.com; my IP is 107.150.18.25.

What changes can I make so that I don't get sent to SPAM (by anyone using the very same SPAM program that iRedMail installs <g>)?

Thanks,

Andrew

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Reduce 'Spamminess' of iRedMail emails? System uses IP in HELO, etc.

AndyInNYC wrote:

-1.999    FSL_HELO_BARE_IP_2    IP used in the HELO request

With default setting, iRedMail uses server hostname (get with command "hostname -f") as value of Postfix parameter "myhostname", and "myhostname" is used as HELO identity by default.

The question is: what's your server hostname? Show us output of command "hostname -f" please.
Also command "postconf myhostname".