Topic: iRedmail vm/dmz deployment questions

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):0.9.7 OPENLDAP edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian "Stretch"
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Nope
====

Hey Everyone. First i wanna thank your for this well polished and easy to maintain mail server application.
i did some tests with iredmail in the past and i am pretty statisfied so far and wanna use and integrate it in my ipa domain.
some questions first:

should i install it in an lxc enviroment or better in kvm? it runs both pretty well... but maybee there are some quirks i should avoid in either of one?!

next thing is: where should i deploy it?
my my ipa domain controllers are in a firewalled subnet behind a firewalled dmz.

1. i could deploy iredmail in the dmz and use probably another mail-gateway on a vps in the www
or
2. i deploy iredmail in my secure subnet behind the dmz and deploy an mailgateway in the dmz to communicate with it through the outside...

i wanna be able to manage my mail users through freeipa so i need to deploy an ipa replica at the dmz if i go with 1 i assume or are there other ways?

thanks for any help and your recommendations wink

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedmail vm/dmz deployment questions

n1ete wrote:

should i install it in an lxc enviroment or better in kvm?

If the Linux/BSD OS works fine with LXC/KVM, then iRedMail is fine.

n1ete wrote:

next thing is: where should i deploy it?
my my ipa domain controllers are in a firewalled subnet behind a firewalled dmz.

It's totally up to you.

P.S. We didn't test iRedMail with FreeIPA before, are you sure it works fine with it?