Topic: Why does mariadb/ mysql install with LDAP?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: OpenBSD 6.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

After choosing LDAP (openldap, not ldapd) as a backend, why does mariadb install at all? I do not have the time to investigate this right now, but following comes to mind:

- Probably some settings are getting stored in the mariadb database. If that is the case, does mariadb install even when choosing postgres as a backend? If not, can we somehow force installation of postgres instead of mariadb for storing data?

Also, on a vanilla OpenBSD system, daemons started are both ldapd and openldap. Can ldapd be stopped if not in use?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Why does mariadb/ mysql install with LDAP?

Other applications require a SQL server, e.g. Roundcube, iRedAPD, Dovecot, etc.

mrtallyman wrote:

Also, on a vanilla OpenBSD system, daemons started are both ldapd and openldap. Can ldapd be stopped if not in use?

Sure. Seems a bug of iRedMail, will check and come back later.

mrtallyman wrote:

In /etc/rc.conf, we have this default setting:

ldapd_flags=NO

So ldapd is not started. Did you maybe start it manually?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

In /etc/rc.conf, we have this default setting:

ldapd_flags=NO

So ldapd is not started. Did you maybe start it manually?

Stupid me, I think the first time around I installed it with ldapd and then reinstalled using openldap. I am not still very sure. Will install a fresh OS and see.

Other applications require a SQL server, e.g. Roundcube, iRedAPD, Dovecot, etc.

I checked the install scripts which basically state that if the option chosen is ldap, then also install mariadb. Can we just copy paste the postgres section and force it to use ldap as backend and make other apps store their settings in postgres?

amavis, roundcube, SOgo support postgres. Just asking as my system already runs a postgres server. I could maybe save on some system resources by not having to use mariadb/ mysql.

mrtallyman wrote:

Can we just copy paste the postgres section and force it to use ldap as backend and make other apps store their settings in postgres?

It's possible, but there're some other places in iRedMail you need to modify.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

It's possible, but there're some other places in iRedMail you need to modify.

Thank you. I'll look deeper when I have the time.