1 (edited by levikoenig 2018-07-08 07:36:51)

Topic: Ram Usage Climbs To 100% Every 2-4 Days And Crashes Server

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8 PRO:3.1 LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 9.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I am running on a Google Cloud VM: 1 vCPU, 6 GB memory

Hello there! I have self taught myself basic linux and setting up a server over the past year. I am needing a little help in regards to where I can start in investigating this issue.

Like clockwork every 2-4 days our iredmail server becomes unresponsive (emails aren't processed and cannot access any web panels). It is easily fixed by shutting down and starting the server, everything begins working again. But after another few days...same problem.

With a preliminary investigation I have found that this issue correlates with the RAM usage on the VM. Right after a reset the RAM usage begins climbing...until a few days later it reaches 100% and then crashes. Once I restart the machine the RAM usage is lowered but begins its climb again. Attached is a screenshot of the VM's RAM usage over the past month or so (scroll down a bit to see the RAM usage)

My question is, where do I start to begin to investigating what is causing this issue? Or any ideas on what may be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post's attachments

iredmail - memory usage.png 114.85 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Ram Usage Climbs To 100% Every 2-4 Days And Crashes Server

Did you ever try to figure out which program caused this RAM increase issue?

Hey Zhang. Not yet. That is something that I don't know how to do yet (new to Linux machines) but I have it on my list of 'Things To Learn' and am interested to see what results I get when I do end up figuring it out wink

For now we just restart the server every 3 days to prevent the crash...haha not the most sophisticated way to deal with it but it works for now!

Will update here when I do learn how to measure historical Ram usage with my results!

hey, why don't you just right command "htop" and it is like the cli task manager, that will show you which service or program is doing this to you!!

Even I am new to linux though know a few bits and pieces as of now! smile

"htop" may not be installed out of box, try "top" in this case.