Topic: From awful shared hosting to fast-secure mail server in under 24 hours
==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8 MARIADB edition.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS Release
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
By the beginning of this year, my wife's business had a shared hosting service that was finally ending. It was slow, horrible, we couldn´t get an SSL certificate unless we were willing to pay a lot and on top of that, an awful email service that sent every message to the SPAM folder of all her clients. I´m a sysadmin for a tech company and wanted to tackle my wife´s tech needs as soon as possible.
I started reading and looking around and ended up with the following setup, hosted at Digital Ocean:
- 1 Ubuntu 16.04 server(Nginx, MariaDB, PHP): 1 GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 25GB SSD. It´s going to be used for a Wordpress company website and also SuiteCRM setup.
- 1 Ubuntu 16.04 server (iRedmail): 2GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 50 GB SSD. The load is basically, 10 people regularly using email, calendars and syncing all data between devices.
- Let´s Encrypt Certbot for SSL certificates
- All DNS config for DKIM, SPF, etc.
We couldn´t be happier with that setup. We were spending around $20.00 a month for a non secure website and a "straight to SPAM" email service and now we are spending $15.00 a month for 2 dedicated servers, SSL cert and secure email that always lands right into our customers inbox without any issue. All 10 users report increased speed in everything they do with email, website or CRM. Thank you iRedmail team for a great product.
----Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.