Topic: Mail Going to Spam && Zendesk

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.6
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
Hey Guys,

2 questions in one thread.

1) For some reason mail from my server, which is setup exactly as required and scores 99% on the mx checkers, barring DMARC obviously, is landing up directly in some users SPAM folders for some reason. Ive noticed this mainly happening with Office 365 users and also Mimecast users.

We dont send any spam whatsoever, our main business that uses the account is an e-commerce business that does send out a lot of similar email, in the form of receipts and new order confirmations. I was reading a few forums online and specifically relating to Office 365 they say that the relay showing as relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] - showing local host could be part of the problem? Is this true, and if so, then how would i change this to show the actual mail server address there instead?

Any other feedback on what might be the issue is also welcome.

2) Second question, we use Zendesk in our business and have set it up that zendesk sends mails through our server. The problem is that they have so many outbound servers, that I have to go and add each ip to /opt/iredapd/settings.py in the MYNETWORKS variable.

Again, is this the right method, or is there another way? Also, this variable doesnt seem to accept an IP range, so literally have to add each ip.

Looking forward to some help!

Thanks,
Tay

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Mail Going to Spam && Zendesk

tayzee wrote:

is landing up directly in some users SPAM folders for some reason.

After email left your server, it's not under you control. You cannot tell others how to treat your email. So it's normal that it goes to Spam/junk folder, even you have correct DNS records, DKIM signing, etc.

tayzee wrote:

Also, this variable doesnt seem to accept an IP range,

It does support IP range/network. You can find sample settings in file /opt/iredapd/libs/default_settings.py:

# Trusted IP address or networks.
# Valid formats:
#   - Single IP address: 192.168.1.1
#   - Wildcard IP range: 192.168.1.*, 192.168.*.*, 192.168.*.1
#   - IP subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
MYNETWORKS = []

So you are saying thats its correct that my logs show outbound email relaying as localhost? Theres nothing i need to change there?

Theres no reason that our mails should be going to Office 365 users spam folders, is there no way that this is happening due to any settings on my side? If i check the logs, as far as deliverability goes, and i have confirmed this with Office 365 themselves, there is no issues with mail being passed between our servers. The problem is that mail goes to straight to the spam folders of anyone using Mimecast and Outlook Hosted Exchange. There must be a reason this is happening?

Please let me know if there is anything possible that I can change. Ive tried tirelessly contacting the Office 365 team with no luck.

Will check up on the iredapd settings you mentioned above.

Thanks for your help, any further help would be much appreciated.

I just want to repeat myself: "After email left your server, it's not under you control. You cannot tell others how to treat your email. So it's normal that it goes to Spam/junk folder, even you have correct DNS records, DKIM signing, etc."

You send normal email, no any spamming content, but, again, you don't control other's server. They don't always act as you wish.