Topic: mail delivery and roundcube login problem

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: debian 9
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
I can log onto iredadmin, and have created a user in two domains. However test mail messages sent from my usual server and from gmail are indefinitely delayed. A day after sending them, I am still seeing mail log entries like this every 5 minutes for each incoming message:

Dec 24 10:31:54 xxxxxx postfix/qmgr[7079]: 43NC4f3tSjz11Zf: from=<xxxxxx@gmail.com>, size=3860, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Dec 24 10:31:54 xxxxxx postfix/pipe[1326]: 43NC4f3tSjz11Zf: to=<richard@xxxxxx.fr>, relay=dovecot, delay=50792, delays=50792/0.03/0/0.08, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure)

I can log into sogo but not to roundcube.  When using roundcube, I see the following error in mail.log:

IMAP Error: Login failed for postmaster@xxxxxx.fr from 111.111.111.111 LOGIN: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. in /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.3.8/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 196 (POST /mail/?_task=login&_action=login)

It says "refer to server log" but I am unsure which log it means. I have not yet found anything else useful in the logs, but may not be looking in the right places. I tried resetting the password for my own username, but the new password is not accepted either. Just a few failed logons result in fail2ban blocking access, so it is all very frustrating.

In sogo, I see only a message that no mailbox is open. Calendar and addressbook appear to be available.

To be honest, I am on the point of giving up after a week of failures.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: mail delivery and roundcube login problem

Please check /var/log/dovecot/*.log.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Please check /var/log/dovecot/*.log.

Ah, that is the place to look! Here is what I found.

----------------------------------
dovecot.log every half hour:

Dec 23 18:19:58 courriel dovecot: imap: Error: Invalid user settings. Refer to server log for more information

---------------------------------
imap.log frequently:

Dec 23 18:20:18 courriel dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<postmaster@xxxxxx.fr>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=10943, secured, session=<BFHFsbN9vNJ/AAAB>
Dec 23 18:20:18 courriel dovecot: imap(postmaster@xxxxxx.fr): Error: User initialization failed: Namespace '': Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: maildir~/Maildir/ (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)

and:

Dec 23 19:39:41 courriel dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<eaudevichy>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured, session=<OvKJzbR9hO1/AAAB>
Dec 23 20:08:07 courriel dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<postmaster@xxxxxx.fr>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=13411, secured, session=<e/VRM7V96Ih/AAAB>
Dec 23 20:08:07 courriel dovecot: imap(postmaster@xxxxxx.fr): Error: User initialization failed: Namespace '': Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: maildir~/Maildir/ (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)

------------------------------------
lda.log every 5min:

Dec 23 20:26:54 courriel dovecot: lda(richard@xxxxxx.fr): Error: User initialization failed: Namespace '': Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: maildir~/Maildir/ (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)

pop3.log empty -- unsurprisingly, who uses pop3 these days?

sieve.log also empty.  Obviously something to do with filtering, but I do not know what 'sieve' is in this context.

-----------------------------------
It clearly lacks data that I presumably need to manually add in some database table, but which?

- Did you upgrade iRedMail manually?
- please show us full content of file /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf (remove password before posting), i believe you missed one ':' in the CONCAT statement.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

i believe you missed one ':'

Oh dear! So I did!

You certainly earned a couple of coffees -- and a christmas bonus too.  It is all working now.  Thank you.

Thanks for the coffee. Merry Christmas. smile