1 (edited by Finch 2019-01-02 08:38:22)

Topic: Server migration: changes needed to ldif?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): Old: 0.9.9, new: 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?: Old: manual, new iRedMail Easy.
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Old: Centos 6.10, new Scientific Linux 7.6.
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Both: LDAP.
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Old: Apache, new Nginx.
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?: Yes.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi,

I'm decomissioning a mail server and moving its operations to another. The old server is running 0.9.9 and the new server is, too. Both are running the LDAP back-end. The old server has the hostname (for example) vs109.mydomain.com, the new server has the hostname mx.mydomain.com. There is also an A record pointing to vs109's IP and is used as an Apache virtual server and the hostname for mail users' interaction with the server.

I am at the point of restoring an LDIF on the new server. The LDIF includes lots of domain components sharing parts of the hold hostname - dc=vs109,dc=mydomain,dc=com.

Can I restore this file without making any changes, or should I change all "dc=vs109" records to "dc=mx" prior to restoring on the new server? If I do restore the LDIF without making any changes, will there be any issues with ongoing management? I'm not at all familiar with LDAP behaviour.

Thank you! big_smile

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Server migration: changes needed to ldif?

- If you use same LDAP suffix ("dc=vs109,dc=xxx") while installing new iRedMail server, then you can restore without modifying the LDIF file. because all postfix/dovecot/... config files use this LDAP suffix.
- If you use different LDAP suffix on new iRedMail server, you'd better modify the LDIF first, then restore.

Re: Server migration: changes needed to ldif?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

- If you use same LDAP suffix ("dc=vs109,dc=xxx") while installing new iRedMail server, then you can restore without modifying the LDIF file. because all postfix/dovecot/... config files use this LDAP suffix.
- If you use different LDAP suffix on new iRedMail server, you'd better modify the LDIF first, then restore.

Great - that's what I thought. Thank you! <3