Topic: How to configure spamassassin bayes for IMAP users?

I'm looking for instructions on how to configure spamassassin bayesian detection of spam for IMAP users.  I've read the SQL/roundcube setup. Those instructions stop being useful at the roundcube plugin portion.  The author of the plugin doesn't support it anymore and I'm not interested in roundcube in any case.

There must be a clear set of instructions to get spamassassin working with what must be the most common setup - IMAP users connecting via a variety of clients who are able to push spam and ham into IMAP folders. 

Thanks in advance,

Irena

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How to configure spamassassin bayes for IMAP users?

Check our new tutorial:
https://docs.iredmail.org/dovecot.imapsieve.html

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Check our new tutorial:

Hi,

Thank you for the link to the updated tutorial.  The issue with that tutorial is that it requires a very up to date version of the underlying OS for no good reason.

The tutorial mixes two issues - one is the installation of a new imap_sieve feature for dovecot and the second is the a useful script to handle sitewide bayesian spam/ham learning.

It's not clear to me why the imap_sieve is tied into this since it is clearly a sitewide config based on how the spam and ham are being aggregated into common directories. 

The imap_sieve plugin requries a very up to date OS. My system is based on debian wheezy not Debian 9 (which is required to use imap_sieve.)  I've been keeping my iredmail up to date, but not upgrading the OS. 

My suggestion would be to publish a clear set of instructions based on the spamassassin learn script that you helpfully provided. 

The changes that I applied to my system are simply:
1) instructu users to put spam in a Junk folder and Ham in a Ham folder.
2) run a cron that does pretty much the same as what the dovecot (imap_sieve) plugin deos - which is copy ham and spam into work directories for learning
3) add another cronjob that runs the spamassassin learn script that you provided.

My changes would allow anyone with any version of iredmail to configure their system to support spam/ham learning based on user feedback rather than force an upgrade to support the imap_sieve.

Thanks, Irena

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Check our new tutorial:

Hi,

Thank you for the link to the updated tutorial.  The issue with that tutorial is that it requires a very up to date version of the underlying OS for no good reason.

The tutorial mixes two issues - one is the installation of a new imap_sieve feature for dovecot and the second is the addition of a  useful script to handle sitewide bayesian spam/ham learning.

It's not clear to me why the imap_sieve is tied into this since it is clearly a sitewide config based on how the spam and ham are being aggregated into common directories. 

The imap_sieve plugin requries a very up to date OS. My system is based on debian wheezy not Debian 9 (which is required to use imap_sieve.)  I've been keeping my iredmail up to date, but not upgrading the OS. 

My suggestion would be to publish a clear set of instructions based on the spamassassin learn script that you helpfully provided. 

The changes that I applied to my system are simply:
1) instruct users to put spam in a Junk folder and Ham in a Ham folder.
2) run a cron that does pretty much the same as what the dovecot (imap_sieve) plugin does - which is copy ham and spam into work directories for learning
3) add another cronjob that runs the spamassassin learn script that you provided.

My changes would allow anyone with any version of iredmail to configure their system to support spam/ham learning based on user feedback rather than force an upgrade to support the imap_sieve.

Thanks, Irena

If you're running old Dovecot release, use its `antispam` plugin instead:
https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Antispam