Topic: SQL backend with LDAP frontend

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi,
I have a cloud based spam filtering service I am experimenting with. This particular one has a web interface for end users to log into and manage their filtering profiles, where the user puts in their email account username/password and their site does a background authentication check against my mail server. Unfortunately for me, this authentication check is done using LDAP, and I am running mysql for my vmail accounts database. Other companies that do this typically use a pop3 login (put in your login/password on their web site, it goes in the background and tests a login with the given name/password, and success of this grants access on the web site).

I was thinking I could accommodate them by running openldap in a read-only configuration with  the sql backend, since I only need to answer yes/no and not accept updates or complex queries of any kind and I was wondering if anyone has done this before? I was even thinking it could be simplified by running a docker image on my mail server host (which is a full xen domu). 

Thanks for any leads

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SQL backend with LDAP frontend

Didn't do this before.
I guess it's easier to support such authentication via POP3/IMAP login, it doesn't rely on SQL or LDAP backend, just use the standard POP3/IMAP protocol.