1 (edited by harshilshah.oic 2019-12-04 12:39:45)

Topic: Sometimes it just doesn't works

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): latest
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18 LTS server
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  mariadb
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Okay, So now I am using iredmail in my office for a while it works perfectly fine most of the time. But I fail to understand what goes wrong non of the mail clients can connect to the server. All the ports (smtp, pop, pop3, imap, imaps) are just vanished. If I scan my ip with nmap it won't show these ports active. I have disabled the firewall and Ddos protection from my router but still this happens. The ports won't come back online even after i reboot the server and router.
Than suddenly after a while everything is back! I don't know after how much time but definitely after few hours it starts working back.

Any reason behind this?
some possible solution??

Note: running this on a raspberrypi 4 with ubuntu core and external hdd for the maildir. Everything works perfectly but somtimes don't understand what goes wrong.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Sometimes it just doesn't works

I was experiencing something similar and discovered it was Fail2ban temporarily banning my IP. Here's the steps I took to rectify it https://forum.iredmail.org/post71565.html#p71565

hey, thanks for quick reply!
I doubted for a while on fail2ban but the thing is I can not access the mails from anywhere even not by using a vpn. I switched from wifi to mobile data and still it won't work!!

Hey ThomasTax, the link you gave is having a 404 error

harshilshah.oic wrote:

Hey ThomasTax, the link you gave is having a 404 error

That's because it's spam.

Can somebody please help me out, genuinely?

Try to stop "fail2ban" service and keep running for some days, it should fix your issue.

Hey Zhang, thanks for the answer, I tried that and it worked!
The question is, is it safe and okay to stop fail2ban forever?!

harshilshah.oic wrote:

is it safe and okay to stop fail2ban forever?!

Definitely not a good idea.

It's ok to stop fail2ban service while your end users are setting their MUAs, but after all MUAs are settle, it's better run fail2ban to harden your server.

okay I took your advice stopped fail2ban for a few days now. It is working fine than previous days but still sometimes I cannot even see the ports when i scan my IP address with nmap or something.
Still unable to figure out the problem

If fail2ban is stopped, then i have no idea why it happened. sad

Is it possible that the router has some problem and it is not forwarding the ports or blocking the ports from time to time? Though I have already turned off ddos protection and firewall.

When i do nmap scan it shows that the domain and server is form GuangDong whereas it is actually not!!
Did I missed something like to change the country or something?? On the host OS the settings are correct though.

Something seems to be not normal but I don't understand this......

harshilshah.oic wrote:

When i do nmap scan it shows that the domain and server is form GuangDong whereas it is actually not!!

That is info on the self-signed ssl cert, it's ok because it was generated with that info by iRedMail installer. (BTW, in latest iRedMail-1.0, the self-signed cert uses Domzale, Slovenia instead - our EU office.)

understood!!
I can't risk upgrading! If something went wrong I will be screwed!