1 (edited by kawasakiguy 2019-12-13 11:03:46)

Topic: ISP Blocks 3306 Mysql Remote Connection Outbound/Recommendations

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  1.0
- Deployed with iRedMail: Downloader
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend: MYSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

My ISP blocks port 3306 outbound, it's noted that many ISP providers block this port going out for whatever reason they have.

The workaround for this was changing every affiliated module that iRedMail installs and configures.

Changed all related mysql ports to port 3310 and vwalah remote connection no problem (of course you need to setup firewall rules accordingly) but after many hours of frustration & learning it was a easy fix once I realized the problem.

Now I may be noobish by asking, but why isn't there an iRedMail uninstall .sh script? Or a bash script that will update all modules based on requested information

Also for these 2 things if possible.

-  For testing/diagnostics a way to remove selected modules & contents or a way to revert the machine back to a pre-install state.

-  During installation, allow users to select an advanced installation option/add additional questions that can be changed if wanted, with the default settings selected by default. If a user wants the sql ports to be on a port other then 3306 I wish there was an easier way then hand picking all files. Just as an example.

This will be convenient not only for small things such as mysql ports & configuring listeners. But also for testing environments.

I am in no way complaining because iRedMail is awesome. But just providing feedback as someone who uses this on a remote machine, I have to pay people everytime to touch my computer, so a reinstall of the operating system is $50. I've had to use machines locally & remotely to get to the point im at, and just hate messing up.

TLDR; I wish there were many more installation options to tell configuration files where to be at and how to be configured with your desired settings. And uninstall/remove selected (or all) modules & contents.

Thank you for all you've done with this project and for everyone. You work hard and my business will appreciate the effort involved in making this happen and maintain it. So in every way I appreciate the time you have spent to make this what it is.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: ISP Blocks 3306 Mysql Remote Connection Outbound/Recommendations

kawasakiguy wrote:

Now I may be noobish by asking, but why isn't there an iRedMail uninstall .sh script? Or a bash script that will update all modules based on requested information

There was an uninstall script, but it's too dangerous that it may remove some important data (mistakenly by user), so we decided to not offer the uninstall script. The alternative solution is re-installing OS then install iRedMail.

kawasakiguy wrote:

-  For testing/diagnostics a way to remove selected modules & contents or a way to revert the machine back to a pre-install state.

If you're running VM, take a snapshot.

kawasakiguy wrote:

-  During installation, allow users to select an advanced installation option/add additional questions that can be changed if wanted, with the default settings selected by default. If a user wants the sql ports to be on a port other then 3306 I wish there was an easier way then hand picking all files. Just as an example.

Some parameters are customizable, but not publicly shared.

In iRedMail-1.0/ directory, run command below will show you all parameter names that you can customize while running iRedMail installer. For example:

# cd iRedMail-1.0/
# grep ':=' conf/*
conf/global:export MYSQL_SERVER_PORT="${MYSQL_SERVER_PORT:=3306}"

That means you can specify a custom MySQL server port number like this:

MYSQL_SERVER_PORT=3310 bash iRedMail.sh

Hope it helps. smile

By the way, why do you need to access MySQL remotely?

Hey Zhang thank you for the tips! I will be definitely using that next time O.O

Remote sql helps with my current email project for a mail solution. I ultimately do not need it to be remote, but I mainly don't want all my scripts and high priority data to be stored on 3rd party hosting, so I upload the required data to the SQL after receiving the signals and information on my end. I found iRedMail because I am in need of making thousands of sieve rules & didn't want to be limited to gb's of storage and mail limiting.

Will definitely see what I can do about using a VM on this dedicated machine for the final project, it's running ubuntu 18.04 server. 

As always, thank you for the help smile

If a web-based SQL management tool is ok for you, try Adminer, just one php file:
https://www.adminer.org

Then no need to worry about port 3306 in ISP's firewall.

Maybe this helps you out, but I use MySQL Workbench to connect to SQL on iRedMail.
There is an option to connect to the server over SSH, so as long as you have SSH open then you can connect without having 3306 open to the internet