Topic: Large scale deployment

Was wondering if anyone has done a large scale deployment (~8,000 users/1 domain) using iRedMail?

Thanks,
David

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Large scale deployment

We have a single domain solution (also an additional alias domain to deal with legacy users brought in from another ISP) in place using iRedAdmin Pro LDAP serving about 5,000 users. It likely doesn't make much of a difference, but we query an external LDAP server. We are also running a separate non pro server using the same LDAP server to manage all of our Radius users (no mail, authentication only) - about 500 PPPOE and 5,000 or so Option 82 devices. We are an ISP and we are using this for all of our customer mail.

Centos 7, running on a vmware VM with 5 CPU and 4GB RAM. It's been running for a bit over a year and a half, with no issues whatsoever (other than a few configuration and performance tweaks).

I can't recommend this solution highly enough, and the support is first class.

starburst wrote:

Was wondering if anyone has done a large scale deployment (~8,000 users/1 domain) using iRedMail?

Thanks,
David

Thanks for your reply.

How many front end servers are you running?

I was planning on using a shared back end MySql server and storage server for the mailboxes.

Never had to configure anything this scale before.

jstewart wrote:

We have a single domain solution (also an additional alias domain to deal with legacy users brought in from another ISP) in place using iRedAdmin Pro LDAP serving about 5,000 users. It likely doesn't make much of a difference, but we query an external LDAP server. We are also running a separate non pro server using the same LDAP server to manage all of our Radius users (no mail, authentication only) - about 500 PPPOE and 5,000 or so Option 82 devices. We are an ISP and we are using this for all of our customer mail.

Centos 7, running on a vmware VM with 5 CPU and 4GB RAM. It's been running for a bit over a year and a half, with no issues whatsoever (other than a few configuration and performance tweaks).

starburst wrote:

Thanks,
David

I am running only one server for the mail itself - I may look at some sort of high availability in the future.
LDAP is running on two external servers, synced with a failover, as well as a read-only openldap instance on the mail server itself, also synced with the primary, so that users can still authenticate in the unlikely event that both of the LDAP servers become unavailable. The mail server has 2TB of storage at the moment.

A separate storage server for the email is a good idea - you can mount it, then tell iredmail the location.
As I use LDAP for authentication, MySQL overhead is pretty light on the server, so I can't say what overhead is like using MySQL for authentication, but of course dead simple to provision an external SQl server.

Now that I think of it, configuring external servers for mailboxes and SQL is a good solution, as you can configure them using haproxy for failover - 2 x mailbox servers and 2 x SQL servers. I think I may look at doing that in the new year.

If you purchase two Pro licences, you could do the same with the iredmail server. Otherwise in the event of catastrophic failure of the iredmail server so long as you have all of your files backed up, provisioning a fresh iredmail server would be pretty quick (reinstall and restore the configuration files), and all of your sql data and mailboxes are sitting ready on the external servers.

That said, I wouldn't even think of something on this scale without the Pro licensing.

starburst wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

How many front end servers are you running?

I was planning on using a shared back end MySql server and storage server for the mailboxes.

Never had to configure anything this scale before.

jstewart wrote:

starburst wrote:

Thanks,
David