Topic: Migration/Upgrade Advice needed

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): NGINX
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

So, currently my mail install is running in an Ubuntu 16.04 VM, and I'd like to upgrade to 1.0. However, 1.0 drops support for Ubuntu 16.04. This leaves me with some questions as to what is going to be the easiest/safest migration path.

1) Do I upgrade iRedMail to 1.0 even though technically, 16.04 is unsupported, and then upgrade 16.04 to 18.04?

2) Do I upgrade 16.04 to 18.04, and then upgrade iRedMail from 0.9.9. to 1.0?

3) Do I create a new install of 18.04, install 1.0, and migrate mail, user accounts, etc over?

With scenario 3, the migration documentation is a little unclear. It appears that migrating the passwords over is unsupported? Or is that the section on password hashes? Also, will this also move all the relay/forwarding/etc options in iRedAdmin Pro?

I'm not a linux expert, but I'm decently savvy. If I did option 3, I'd move from a VMware VM, to an LXC container (unless someone else has a better idea?) simply because most of my linux infrastructure has moved that way.

Anyway, just looking for some input on this. The migration documentation doesn't seem as up to date or as thorough as the upgrade documentation, so that gives me a bit of pause.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Migration/Upgrade Advice needed

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

However, 1.0 drops support for Ubuntu 16.04.

It's a misunderstanding.
It means you cannot install NEW iRedMail server on Ubuntu 16.04, but all softwares configured by old iRedMail releases still work on 16.04.

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

1) Do I upgrade iRedMail to 1.0 even though technically, 16.04 is unsupported, and then upgrade 16.04 to 18.04?

You can upgrade to 16.04 and running it for a long time if you want.

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

2) Do I upgrade 16.04 to 18.04, and then upgrade iRedMail from 0.9.9. to 1.0?

It's ok.
Another path is upgrading iRedMail to 1.0 first, then upgrade OS.

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

3) Do I create a new install of 18.04, install 1.0, and migrate mail, user accounts, etc over?

This is another path. But upgrading in-place is easier.

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

It appears that migrating the passwords over is unsupported?

It's perfectly supported. Just copy-paste.

Fantastic, I updated to 1.0, and the iRedAdmin-Pro to 4.1.2 without any issues with mail flow! I'll look at upgrading to 18.04 at a later date then since it's still supported.

I do have a couple odd issues though after upgrade, should I create a new post?

Thank you.

a.e.brownlee.iv wrote:

I do have a couple odd issues though after upgrade, should I create a new post?

feel free to create new topics. smile